Executive Director, Biologics Discovery
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionExecutive Director, Biologics DiscoveryJob Description
The Protein Therapeutics Department in Gilead Research has an exciting opportunity for an inspirational leader experienced in biologics drug discovery and innovation. This position will support all three therapeutic areas (Virology, Oncology, and Inflammation) at Gilead and manage all discovery and engineering efforts from antibody discovery campaign initiation to drug candidate activity and format optimization. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications and issued patents. Leadership experience in overseeing biologics projects from target validation to IND and demonstrated ability to develop high-performing teams in an industry setting are crucial attributes of a successful candidate. Gilead Sciences Inc. is a highly matrixed organization. Effective collaboration across multiple function groups is an important attribute of this role.Responsibilities
- Lead function teams to discover and engineer innovative protein therapeutics including antibodies, multispecifics, and immunocytokines to address unmet medical needs through differentiated mechanisms of action
- Develop compelling team vision and strategies for sustained innovation, technology platform initiatives, and operational excellence
- Establish effective protein engineering workflows at scale by leveraging sequence and structure informatics as well as computational protein design
- Build world-class organizational capacity and capabilities to increase cadence and shorten biologics design, build, and test cycle time
- Collaborate across functions to enable robust and structured data capture, data analytics, and innovative data sciences to generate novel hypotheses and insights
- Communicate transparently and timely to key stakeholders to build strong partnership and collaboration experiences
- Must be driven by science, detail-oriented, and focused on scale, speed, and quality
- Ph.D. or equivalent in molecular & cell biology, biochemistry, immunology, or related bioscience field with 14+ years of post-graduate industry experience
- State-of-the-art expertise in designing and building innovative protein therapeutics having the intended mechanisms of action and meeting the target product profile
- Skilled practitioner in antibody discovery platforms in vivo and in vitro including both immunization and display library-based technologies
- Hands-on experience in immunogen design, structural biology, multispecifics, immunocytokines, and Fc engineering
- Working knowledge in biologics expression, purification, functional screening assays, and developability assessments
- Familiarity with technical reports and IB preparation for IND filing
- Candidates with project leadership experience with a deep understanding of biologics drug discovery and development processes are highly preferred and will be prioritized
The salary range for this position is: $266,815.00 - $345,290.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.