This position is open to remote within the US or onsite at our headquarters in South San Francisco.
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking a senior-level Backend Engineer to help develop software to combat cancer. The ideal candidate has the ability to thrive in an environment where collaboration, communication, and compromise are an expected part of the day-to-day work. You will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists building end-to-end solutions for our ML team and clinical and R&D labs. As a member of a fast-growing team, you’ll take the lead on major projects and collaborate actively with our world-class team of engineers, scientists, designers, and product managers. You’ll build reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that enable the rapid growth of our business and mission of saving lives. You are passionate about software development best practices, and you will have a significant impact on the continued growth of a high profile technology organization that is changing the landscape on early cancer detection.
About the team: Our Software Clinical Interfaces team manages the entire life cycle of our CRC product, from order creation to report delivery, and various stages in between. The team is also responsible for technical solutions for commercial success, clinical data management and data ingestion from external sources to further enrich clinical development and support product research.
The role reports to our engineering management team.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop, and deploy reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that power both our internal and external systems
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Work with scientists, designers, product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of lots of dynamism and uncertainty
- Mentor junior engineers and grow our team’s technical expertise
- Lead and champion engineering hygiene and culture as a core part of the engineering backbone
- 8+ years of experience as a part of a software development team successfully shipping a software product
- Production level experience with Python
- Experience in system design for distributed cloud native systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working as a senior technical team member mentoring more junior coworkers
- Experience designing and implementing scalable backend systems
- A mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, and/or work experience
Nice to haves:
- Experience in Kubernetes, Docker, PostgreSQL, AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Previous experience leading teams or managing projects
- Domain-specific experience in computational biology, genomics or a related field
- Direct experience with clinical interoperability standards such as FHIR, IHE ITI Profiles or HL7v2
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary/hourly rate for new hires is $157,250 - $240,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.