About the Department
Our US Research & Development hub, located in the Greater Boston area, brings together the best talent to drive life science innovation. Located in Lexington, Watertown and Cambridge, our teams reflect the full scope of R&D, from early research through late-stage clinical development. We are building for the future by creating a distinct R&D community based on collaboration, partnerships, and cutting-edge research across multiple modalities and therapeutic areas. We recognize that improving human health starts here and that patients rely on us. By combining the speed and agility of biotech with the quality, resources, and stability of a large pharmaceutical company, our US R&D hub will benefit from the best of both worlds to develop new medicines that meet the needs of patients.
The Principal Scientist is a part of the RNA & Gene Therapy CVP area. The Principal Scientist will provide scientific leadership in the identification and validation of novel biomaterials, lipids, polymers, hybrids, advancing novel therapies to the clinic, and developing technologies to accelerate platform research into development. This will be achieved by functioning as a subject matter expert that provides strategic guidance to project teams, evaluates emerging targets and technologies, and proposes and oversees external collaborations and strategic partnerships. The Principal Scientist may mentor colleagues in formulation and analytical skill areas within Non-Viral Delivery and will represent the department to the external scientific community through publication and presentation of highly impactful research.
Reports to the Head of Non-Viral Delivery.
Internal relationships include project teams and research colleagues both in Malov and Boston and with external partners around the globe. Communicates data externally when required. May oversee parts of RNA> operations and NVD laboratory facilities. Individual Contributor: does not have direct reports, will supervise contingent works and students on fixed term basis.
- Advances portfolio projects by demonstrating technical mastery, creativity, and scientific leadership on nanaomedines design, synthesis and characterization for nucleic acid cargos and intracellular delivery, with broad knowledge of related disciplines (clinical and non-clinical safety, biosciences) including a strong understanding of the pharmaceutical industry
- Analyzes highly complex data with high degree of sophistication, connecting disparate datasets to reach conclusions and set direction on experiments
- Effectively communicates and collaborates across global sites and sets project strategy by providing leadership of cross-functional project teams. Represents the organization through external communication of impactful scientific research in the form of presentation at external conferences and publication in scientific journals and patents. Proposes and oversees external collaborations
- Maintains a deep understanding of theoretical knowledge and a connection to the external scientific community through continuous evaluation of relevant literature. Expands and matures technology and capabilities for high throughput/AI /ML driven optimisation of novel nanoparticles that add value
- Leads global, cross-functional experimental teams to achieve project goals. Provides significant mentorship and training of colleagues across all levels
- Contributes subject matter expertise to develop the research agenda with a clear understanding of the link between scientific project goals and overall long-term business needs. Proposes new concepts in intracellular delivery or devices that support the strategic agenda and address gaps in technological capabilities and therapeutic areas
- 22+ years’ relevant experience required, Master's Degree with 16 years relevant industry or post-doctorate experience or PhD with 10 years relevant industry or post-doctorate experience in either chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, medicinal-chemistry, Polymer Chemistry or Pharmaceutical Sciences can be considered
- Relevant required experience includes:
- Strong understanding and demonstrated ability to synthesise novel lipid /polymers for drug delivery
- Proficiency & experience in improving the safety, potency, delivery, targeting and manufacturing of LNP-based delivery systems
- Advanced understanding of lipid self-assembly mechanisms underpinning LNP formulations, mechanistic insights of LNP uptake and cytosolic availability of payload is essential
- Recognized expert and leader in the field of LNPs and non-viral delivery of genetic medicine cargoes through patents and publications
- High throughput DoE, scale up, late-stage development and platform Tech Transfer to GMP. regulatory pathways and awareness of relevant IND submissions
Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Preferred experience includes:
- Machine learning and AI fluency demonstrated on LNP design, make, test and analysis
- Hand on experience in cell culture/nonclinical safety and potency workflows
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.