At Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll discover meaningful work that makes a positive impact on a global scale. Join our colleagues in bringing our Mission to life - enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We provide our teams with the resources needed to achieve individual career goals while taking science a step beyond through research, development and delivery of life-changing therapies. With clinical trials conducted in 100+ countries and ongoing development of novel frameworks for clinical research through our PPD clinical research portfolio, our work spans laboratory, digital and decentralized clinical trial services. Your determination to deliver quality and accuracy will improve health outcomes that people and communities depend on – now and in the future.
This opportunity will require you be to onsite at the Richmond, VA campus. Relocation assistance is available.Location/Division Specific Information
Our PPD® Laboratory Services team has a direct impact on improving patient health through the expertise of scientists, industry thought-leaders and therapeutic experts. As the world leader in serving science, our laboratory professionals bring their commitment to accuracy and quality to deliver groundbreaking innovations.
Discover Impactful Work:
The Executive Director will have a key role aligned with our business goals- to drive transformation through collaboration and innovation. This individual will be a key component of a strategic refresh, and operational execution against that strategy in a key number of functions. Leading these teams utilizing strong change management and leadership skills will be an essential and key part of the role. This leader will have a high visibility role with an expectation to identify and drive opportunities across what is an industry leader in the bioanalytical laboratory field. Experience in driving change and executing on a strategic plan, across large teams is a key skill desired. Whilst this is a large-scale Bioanalytical operation in a fast paced CRO environment, an emphasis on leadership experience and effectiveness is the most important aspect versus laboratory experience from a similar structure.
The Executive Director will lead the continuing and rapid growth of specific laboratory operations incorporated into the Bioanalytical operation, by operational execution of a strategic plan.
Key responsibilities include:
- Direct the development of new programs, and streamline current ones, for revenue enhancement / cost expense reduction, including post-evaluation of new implementations for effectiveness.
- Support business development in obtaining new clients and maintaining strong existing relationships.
- Maximize operating profit by leveraging lab resources, space allocation, and managing capital equipment, scientific instrumentation and staff management.
- Set operating standards and goals, as well as forecast and establish operating budgets.
- Develop forecasts maximizing operating profit.
- This position will include up to 30% travel.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- BS degree in the life sciences; Advanced degree preferred.
- Approximately 15+ years previous experience leading and driving change in large teams, with experience in strategic and change leadership.
- Expert business knowledge with a comprehensive understanding of the organization and functional areas.
- Understanding of Vaccine Sciences strongly preferred.
We are looking for an accomplished operations leader ideally with knowledge in the analytical field, as well as a proven and creative approach to problem-solving. To be successful in this role, you'll require:
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
- Expertise in budgeting, forecasting and fiscal management.
- In-depth knowledge of laboratory operations in pharmaceutical and biotech industries.
- Proficient in analytical, bioanalytical or clinical chemistry platforms and methodologies.
- Comprehensive knowledge of bioanalytical laboratory science, GxP, FDA and European regulations concerning relevant lab processes in drug development, method development, method validation, R&D, sample testing and data processing.
- Expertise in budgeting, forecasting and fiscal management.
- Demonstrated strategic planning skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively lead and participate in activities including:
- Business development meetings and engagements, including presenting and highlighting capabilities and solutions to key clients.
- Regulatory Audit responses.
- Preparation and presentation of budgets and forecasts to senior and executive management.
- Comprehensive global and cultural awareness.
- Exposure and experience in mergers and acquisitions, as well as integrating business units with the ability to add value to the overall portfolio.
- Strong organizational agility and demonstrated drive for results.
- Track record of building strong peer relationships and developing effective teams.
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills.
- Effective marketing and negotiation abilities.
Thermo Fisher Scientific values the health and wellbeing of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
- Able to work upright and stationary and/or standing for typical working hours.
- Able to lift and move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Able to work in non-traditional work environments.
- Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
- May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements, including infectious agents, typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments.
- Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us. As one team of 100,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory with PPD, part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Job Seekers with a Disability: Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or assisting a person with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
*This telephone line is reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requiring accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Messages left for other purposes, such as not being able to get into the career website, following up on an application, or other non-disability related technical issues will not receive a response.