Exec Director, Global Logistics
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionExecutive Director, Global Logistics Key Responsibilities:
Reporting to the SVP of Global Supply Chain, and part of the larger Pharmaceutical Development and Manufacturing organization (PDM), the Executive Director, Global Logistics will lead a team of supply chain logistics professionals in Foster City, LaVerne and Dublin. This role is accountable for the strategic business relationships with our outsourced logistics partners, warehousing, and storage of material from API, clinical to commercial products, internally and externally, their distribution to mfg sites and patients and customer service. FOCUS AREAS
Design, recruit, staff and lead an organization:
Strategy and people capability:
- Accountable for the E2E global logistics strategy and execution, including people, process and systems, materials, API, clinical and commercial product, warehousing, cold chain capabilities, logistics, distribution, and customer service.
- Logistics strategy for launches, including partner selection, lane development and rates, SOP and other document creation or revisions and ERP updates
- Training and development to meet evolving demands of our product portfolio, external environment including ESG commitments and compliance.
- Own the strategic business relationship with logistics providers working closely with procurement:
- Accountable for sourcing and selection of global logistics partners, contract negotiation and ongoing business relationship with the suppliers. (MSAs, SOWs, Supply Agreements, rate negotiation, etc.)
- Responsible for preparation and tracking of RFPs/RFQs in consultation with functional stakeholders (Mfg. Ops, Tech. Dev. QA, procurement etc.)
- Lead quarterly / annual business review meetings (BRMs) with strategic logistics providers,
- Lead the assessment and mitigation of supplier risks through regular supplier risk management processes linked to SC risk management and PDM risk management
- Set the API stocking strategies at the DP site per API
Process and systems warehouse / logistics / distribution and Customer service:
- Performance Management of all E2E logistics activities; KPI's including budget, OTIF, inventory, invoicing right first time; continuous improvement plans
- Establish global E2E process for warehousing, storage and distribution of materials and product meeting clinical and commercial demands
- Order fulfillment of shipment to DP sites, CMOs, 3Pls, depots, patient, customer
- Responsible for all Global final mile Logistics to Gilead's end Patients and Customers.
- Establish global returns process, i.e., Identify API returns and shipping material
- Responsible for coordinating Global Trade compliance requirements for imported and exported products.
- Ensure compliance with industry regulations, such as temperature-controlled shipping
- Document shipping protocols and lane qualifications with quality and ensure global consistency as applicable
- Shipping FEFO, lot level restrictions
- Inventory management including Obsolesce and destruction process
- Warehouse management systems and TMS - SAP implementation and technology evolution in the logistics space
- Roadmap for automation and tools to increase efficiency, deliver ESG agenda
- Creating and fiscal reporting in line with the Budgeted plan for all activities surrounding Freight (Logistics) and Distribution.
- Anticipates shifts in industry trends and regulatory environment that will impact Gilead's business needs and positions the function to respond accordingly.
Gilead Core Values
- Primary degree in Business, Science or Engineering discipline. Master's degree and/or professional qualifications in supply chain management desired.
- 16 years (with a BA) or 14 years (with MA/MS) biopharmaceutical industry experience with at least 5 years of experience focused on management and leadership roles within logistics, warehousing, and distribution.
- Must have in-depth expertise in EU and international cGMPs.
- Knowledgeable of the principles of GxPs
- Proven track record and hands on experience with SAP S4 Hanna ERP, WMS / IM and TMS systems in general is essential
- Experience developing, implementing, and executing strategic plans and objectives for organizations and departments.
- Solid understanding of current industry trends.
- Leadership qualities of the successful candidate include the following: collaboration, building and developing high performing teams, accountability, cross functional engagement and influence, program management, strategic vision, executive presence, coaching, goal setting and performance management.
- Strong business acumen. Capability to navigate and lead in a highly matrixed environment.
- Influencing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex and complicated situations and to strip out complications.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal. Can make convincing arguments, inspire action, and bridge diverse cultures. Capable to communicate the world of PDM to people outside of PDM, and to communicate about the world outside of PDM to those inside.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- A proven capability to contribute to your team's success through servant leadership.
- A proven capability to contribute to the success of PDM and Gilead as a senior leader.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, developing talent and empowering teams.
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
The salary range for this position is: $266,815.00 - $345,290.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.