Senior Director, Patient Safety, TA Safety Physician
United States - California - Foster CityUnited States - New Jersey - Morris Plains
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
You will develop or oversee and ensure that strategic medical input relative to safety is incorporated into product development and lifecycle management as well as perform or oversee other advanced safety science activities for a portfolio of products in the assigned therapeutic area.
You will provide strategic input into cross-functional drug development planning and execution across the product lifecycle, from discovery to postmarketing. You will ensure that signal detection, development of benefit-risk evaluation management plans, risk minimization activities, and aggregate safety reports are performed in a timely and quality manner. You will also provide input on behalf of PS into study-related activities and documentation, regulatory submissions, responses to regulatory agency inquiries, pharmacovigilance (PV) processes and projects and PV or other audits and inspections. You may be assigned responsibilities as a Global Safety Lead (GSL) or Global Safety Strategy Lead (GSSL) with responsibilities for managing a group of products/or indications and acting as the expert, strategic partner across Gilead regarding these compounds. You will play a lead role within the PS TA by contributing to the group's short- and long-range strategy, infrastructure and resource plans, and long-range capability development. You will also mentor and develop future PS TA leaders.
Position will be filled as a Director or Senior Director, based on candidate experience.EXAMPLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Typically leads and manages a team of direct reports and may manage other people leaders. Hires, develops and retains diverse top talent on the team. Sets clear and elevating goals for the team and individual direct reports. Coaches direct reports on their performance, development and career interests.
- Makes significant contributions to our abilities to hire, develop and retain diverse talent with impact in and outside own team.
- Accountable for the successful oversight and completion of a broad spectrum of safety science activities and deliverables for typically multiple products, compounds or indications in the assigned TA, in compliance with established practices, policies, processes, and any regulatory or other requirements.
- Advises senior management on the safety strategy and pathway to achieve therapeutic area strategic milestones and objectives.
- May provide input into and influence cross-TA PS strategies.
- Performs or otherwise oversees safety reviews of clinical trial protocols, clinical study reports, informed consent forms, and other study related documents.
- Provides and/or oversees medical input on PV activities for products within the assigned TA.
- Authors, contributes to and/or oversees the preparation of aggregate safety reports and risk management plans (RMPs).
- Conducts and/or oversees signal detection and evaluation activities for assigned products as part of the continuous benefit-risk evaluation throughout the product lifecycle.
- Supports implementation of decisions from the signal evaluation process, including updates to core safety information, Investigator's Brochure and other key safety documents and deliverables.
- Contributes to and/or oversees PS TA activities and input related to regulatory filings (e.g., Marketing Authorisation Applications [MAAs], New Drug Applications [NDAs], Biologics License Applications [BLAs]), and responses to safety queries from third parties, such as regulatory agencies.
- Plays a leadership role on PS and cross-functional teams, including leadership of special projects, participation in continuous improvement and optimization initiatives, and PS TA functional area support in PV audits and inspections.
- May serve as medical monitor for post-authorization safety studies.
- Provides accurate and thorough input and recommendations into resource plans required to complete own deliverables. Tracks resources to ensure compliance with agreed resource allocation, including budgets.
- Ensures the team and the assigned work comply with established practices, policies and processes and any regulatory or other requirements.
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. Please see the following for the qualifications and skills we seek for this role.U.S. Education & Experience
Rest of World Education & Experience
- MD / DO degree or equivalent with 6+ years' relevant experience.
- Completion of an accredited medical or surgical residency program.
- Board certification is strongly preferred.
- Experience in HIV clinical care preferred, but not required.
- Experience leading cross-functional activities across a broad spectrum of drug safety or related programs, projects and other activities.
- Experience participating in cross-functional projects and teams with responsibilities related to clinical trials or other drug development activities.
- Line management (direct reports) experience is strongly preferred.
- Proven track record of effective people leadership, as evidenced through past effectiveness with employee engagement, development and retention either with direct reports or through matrix leadership responsibilities.
- Strong track record of cultivating and maintaining strategic relationships and collaborations both internally and externally.
MD / DO or equivalent with completion of an accredited medical or surgical residency program. Board certification is strongly preferred. Significant experience working in drug safety / PV or a related field in the biopharma industry, clinical research, health administration, health policy, epidemiology, or academic or subspeciality medicine. Biopharma industry experience is preferred.Knowledge & Other Requirements
- Knowledge of the drug development process, Good Clinical Practices (GCP) and Good Pharmacovigilance (GVP), including worldwide PV regulations and their application to safety science activities (aggregate PV reports, risk management plans, signal detection, clinical trials and clinical development).
- In-depth understanding of observational studies used in pharmacoepidemiology and ability to provide sound critique of such studies.
- Strong knowledge of statistical methods used in PV.
- Proven abilities to make significant contributions to strategic planning and lead significant process improvements in PS.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and understanding of team dynamics.
- Strong communication and organizational skills. Demonstrable abilities to effectively communicate project direction and status to varying organizational levels, including leadership teams, executives and steering committees. Able to distill complex matters into a clear business case and roadmap for execution.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong coaching capabilities to mentor/develop staff.
- When needed, ability to travel.
The salary range for this position is: $266,815.00 - $345,290.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.