Join a Legacy of Innovation 110 Years and Counting!
Daiichi Sankyo Group is dedicated to the creation and supply of innovative pharmaceutical therapies to improve standards of care and address diversified, unmet medical needs of people globally by leveraging our world-class science and technology. With more than 100 years of scientific expertise and a presence in more than 20 countries, Daiichi Sankyo and its 16,000 employees around the world draw upon a rich legacy of innovation and a robust pipeline of promising new medicines to help people. Under the Group’s 2025 Vision to become a “Global Pharma Innovator with Competitive Advantage in Oncology,” Daiichi Sankyo is primarily focused on providing novel therapies in oncology, as well as other research areas centered around rare diseases and immune disorders.
This position serves in a pivotal role, leading the creation and implementation of sourcing strategies for a specific set of R&D categories (CRO, Medical Writing, BDM, etc..). Builds strategic plans for specific categories under the direction of the head of category management, for the creation, execution, tracking of strategies. Includes working under a set of standardized templates across categories for RFPs, rate card analytics, MSA standardization of business terms. Influence and forms strong partnerships with business leaders and demonstrates operational excellence in managing multiple complex and competing priorities simultaneously. Proven project management and strategy skills. Is experienced in leading complex initiatives of high dollar value from inception through to implementation. Demonstrates ability to handle global projects through established interactions with Japan and Europe as required. Demonstrates strategic foresight and thought when approaching tasks and ensures that all key stakeholders are fully on board. Requires minimal supervision. Proactively predicts and prevents issues and conflicts; appropriately escalates as needed. Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of the industry, vendor base, and regulatory issues for respective categories. Leads the development of sourcing strategy for respective categories. Builds and maintains a good vendor base. Manages vendor relationships. Implement sourcing and value development roadmap and initiatives; contribute to strong supplier relationship management, including selective strategic partnerships. Implement sourcing projects, negotiation lever development, and supplier relationship opportunities in order to support best in class sourcing and procurement for Global RD – for their specific categories.
- Data Analysis Based Decision-Making
- Uses rigorous analyses of data as well as market supply base information for their categories all categories of spend
- Works closely with Procurement Excellence and Finance Excellence to perform cost analysis
- Uses category level metrics (SLAs and KPIs) working with stakeholders and other functions within RD
- Suggests course correction tactics as appropriate
- Required to keep informed of industry trends and newsworthy happenings, company product pipeline progress, and overall financial position of the Company in order to provide meaningful support and input into the Outsourcing strategies and their implementation plans of their specific strategies.
- Develops innovative sourcing methods
- Demonstrates expert understanding of procurement principles, legal language, vendor selection criteria.
- Problem solves and negotiates in most service types, studies, and programs
- Responsible for the development and management of other ad hoc special projects as they arise through minimal supervision. Proactively predicts and prevents issues and conflicts; appropriately escalates as needed through excellent communication and presentation skills.
Qualifications: Successful candidates will be able to meet the qualifications below with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Education Qualifications (from an accredited college or university)
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Master's Degree Business Administration or Life Sciences preferred
- 7 or More Years Outsourcing, health sciences or related field (clinical trials) required
- 7 or More Years Deep experience in pharma procurement & category management required
- CRO experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of clinical trials preferred
Ability to travel up to 10%. Business meetings and conferences, as needed
Daiichi Sankyo, Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.