At 4D Molecular Therapeutics, Inc. (“4DMT”), we boldly innovate to unlock the full potential of genetic medicines for countless patients. We are committed to breaking boundaries and daring to cure as we develop new and foundational products and product components through our growing technology platforms.
4DMT is a clinical-stage biotherapeutics company harnessing the power of directed evolution for targeted genetic medicines. We seek to unlock the full potential of gene therapy using our platform, Therapeutic Vector Evolution (TVE), which combines the power of directed evolution with our approximately one billion synthetic AAV capsid-derived sequences to invent evolved vectors for use in our products. We believe key features of our targeted and evolved vectors will help us create targeted product candidates with improved therapeutic profiles. These profiles will allow us to treat a broad range of large market diseases, unlike most current genetic medicines that generally focus on rare or small market diseases.
We have built a deep portfolio of AVV-based gene therapy product candidates, with five product candidates in clinical trials: 4D-150 for the treatment of wet age-related macular degeneration (wet AMD) and diabetic macular edema (DME), 4D-710 for the treatment of cystic fibrosis lung disease, 4D-310 for the treatment of Fabry disease cardiomyopathy, 4D-125 for the treatment of X-linked retinitis pigmentosa (XLRP), and 4D-110 for the treatment of choroideremia. In addition, we have two product candidates in preclinical studies: 4D-175 for geographic atrophy (GA) and 4D-725 for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency.
To-date, we have demonstrated clinical proof-of-concept for three evolved vectors in three therapeutic areas and routes of administration with five products and patient populations. We believe this validates the power of our directed evolution platform for discovering superior vectors compared to wildtype viral vectors. We have built a robust and efficient product engine with 6 open Investigational New Drug Applications (INDs) in the U.S., 1 IND in Taiwan, and 1 Clinical Trial Approval (CTA) in Australia. We believe we are positioned to create, develop, manufacture and, if approved, effectively commercialize targeted genetic medicines that could transform the lives of patients suffering from debilitating diseases.
In addition to TVE, our technology includes a robust AAV manufacturing platform and onsite manufacturing facility that allows us to rapidly produce and test research grade material and scale up to GMP clinical material. This internal capability and close collaboration between our R&D and Manufacturing teams has greatly accelerated the pace of discovery at 4DMT.
• Fully integrated clinical-phase company with internal manufacturing
• Demonstrated ability to move rapidly from idea to IND
• Five candidate products in the clinic and two declared pre-clinical programs
• Robust technology and IP foundation, including our TVE and manufacturing platforms
• Initial product safety and efficacy data substantiates the value of our platforms
• Opportunities to expand to other indications and modalities within genetic medicine
The Vice President of Business Development will be responsible for driving execution of 4DMT’s partnering strategy including the identification, evaluation, diligence, execution and management of strategic alliances and licensing agreements involving 4DMT’s gene therapy platform and its pipeline. This individual will be the deal lead for both sell-side and buy-side strategic partnering transactions. The VP of Business Development will help to refine 4DMT’s business development strategy, identify and evaluate potential collaboration opportunities and negotiate agreements that meet the company’s objectives and be responsible for strategic management of the collaborations post-deal execution.
The VP Business Development will work in close collaboration with 4DMT’s executive leadership team and will be responsible for building and implementing the long-range business development strategy and associated business development processes. This will require effective cross-functional leadership and collaboration to ensure alignment with key internal stakeholders, beginning with the search and evaluation process through deal negotiation and closure. It will also include developing a significant external network with key industry leaders in pharma, biotech, and academia on behalf of 4DMT.
- In partnership with senior leadership, refine the business development strategy and support requirements necessary to pursue major strategic deals, partnerships and platform collaborations.
- Identify, lead and execute on transformative pharmaceutical collaborations with 4MDT’s platform and/or pipeline.
- Coordinate presentations, due diligence activities, and negotiations across multiple functional areas including R&D, Clinical, Manufacturing and Legal.
- Establish and maintain excellent relationships with counterparts in external organizations and well as internal colleagues.
- Present well-developed scientific and business rationale, analyses, and proposals to senior executives and Board of Directors; interface with senior management to reach decisions.
- Integrate and summarize scientific, clinical, financial, and market information; manage the development of the business case and overall assessment of the transaction.
- Structure term sheets including financial as well as non-financial terms; Includes generating detailed deal benchmark analyses to support financial term expectations.
- Develop and negotiate agreements in collaboration with Legal for licensing and acquisition transactions; imperative to be knowledgeable with legal language and to read/understand all contracts.
- Following transaction close, lead internal kick-off and strategically manage alliance to maximize value for 4DMT.
- Masters or Ph.D. or advanced degree in a scientific or medical discipline is desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years business development experience at biotech and/or pharmaceutical company.
- Ph.D. or advanced degree in a scientific or medical discipline is desirable.
- Experience with complex biologics, new therapeutic modalities and technology platforms. Gene therapy experience would be a plus.
- A successful, documented track record of identifying, leading and executing transactions with emphasis on pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical licensing, collaborations and strategic alliances is essential.
- Significant knowledge in all aspects of business development, including conceptualization, negotiation, contracting of licensing, as well as due diligence and screening capabilities.
- Experience building financial models, drafting term sheets and creating financial deal structures; must have an understanding of the implications of alternative deal structures to support value-creation opportunities.
- Strong contract negotiation and financial modeling skills; strong analytical skills with advanced understanding of valuation and return on investment analysis in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience driving complex strategic projects with diverse stakeholder groups.
- Deep understanding of the drug discovery and development process and broad knowledge of the biopharmaceutical industry including historical transactions and significant alliances.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to establish credibility with internal and external scientific and business experts.
- Well-developed internal partnering skills to interface and collaborate across multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and work successfully with varied audiences (Board of Directors, senior leaders, colleagues, biotechnology and pharmaceutical partners, financial institutions, KOLs, and other collaborators).
- Decisive; comfortable with ambiguity around assessing new business opportunities; energetic and resourceful self-starter.
- Results oriented with excellent analytical, strategic, business planning, and teamwork/collaboration skills.
A strong preference for this position to be based in 4DMT’s headquarters in Emeryville, CA. Candidates in other areas of the U.S. West Coast may also be considered.
Non-technical and technical skills:
- A strong preference for this position to be based in 4DMT’s headquarters in Emeryville, CA. Candidates in other areas of the U.S. West Coast may also be considered.
- Requires effective cross functional leadership and collaboration
- Software applications, PMP
Physical Requirements of the Role:
- Communication skills both written and verbal
- Primarily computer use and long periods of sitting, standing
- To maintain a healthy and safe workplace for all during the COVID-19 this role is expected to:
- Work remotely and return on-site in 2022 on a hybrid schedule, OR be a lab-based employee of up to 4+ days onsite, OR be onsite full time OR Open to remote based employee with occasional visits (% of Travel)
- Adhere to 4DMT Covid protocols and policy. This includes all employees and contractors must share proof of current vaccination status to work onsite.
Base compensation range:
Bay Area Range
Please note, the base compensation range and actual compensation offered to the final candidate is dependent on variety of factors: candidate’s geographical location, relevant work experience, skills, and years of experience.
4DMT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, status as a covered veteran, and any other category protected under applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities