Cell Therapy Process Development Co-Op
Obsidian Therapeutics is expanding the reach of TIL therapy. We are pioneering engineered tumor infiltrating lymphocyte (TIL) therapies to deliver transformative outcomes for patients suffering from solid tumor malignancies. Obsidian’s programs apply our CytoDRiVETM platform technology to express regulated therapeutic proteins to enhance anti-tumor activity. Obsidians’ lead program is currently in clinical development for the treatment of patients with metastatic melanoma and other solid tumors.
We’re proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. Our research team is based in the heart of Cambridge, MA, and our Technical Development, Manufacturing & Quality team is based in our new facility in Bedford, MA. Obsidianites enjoy a highly collaborative culture, competitive salary and benefits, and potential for ownership through stock options.
We are looking for a scientifically curious, flexible, collaborative, and dynamic Co-Op to join our Process Development Team in the Technical Development, Manufacturing and Quality Department in our Bedford office. You will be a key contributor to efforts to develop processes that result in improved cell growth performance and product quality for our autologous tumor infiltrating lymphocyte (TIL) cell therapies. You’ll be a vital part of a highly collaborative team working to achieve Obsidian’s vision by translating innovative science into medical breakthroughs for patients, starting with our lead program cytoTIL15 engineered to make TILs more effective for more patients.
This opportunity is open to undergraduate students majoring in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, or Immunology. You will receive a tremendous amount of support, guidance, and mentorship as a Co-Op at Obsidian and can take advantage of some great perks such as free lunch, commuter benefits, and excellent career development opportunities (details below).
This is a unique opportunity to be a contributor in a well-funded clinical company with blue chip investors, field-leading advisors, best-in-class partners (BMS and Vertex), and an experienced team. You'll help us build a dynamic, innovative, passionate, collaborative, and successful organization focused on delivering transformative therapies in areas of greatest clinical need.
- Assist with designing process development experiments for media optimization and cell proliferation processes to enhance cell yields.
- Conduct mammalian cell culture activities under aseptic conditions.
- Execute preREP and REP (Rapid Expansion Phase) TIL cell culture studies with a focus on screening raw material changes and new media for cell growth performance and product quality impacts.
- Perform cell counting and cell passaging activities and run flow cytometry and metabolite assays.
- Support design of experiments, meticulously execute bench work, analyze data, and troubleshoot assays.
- Broaden your scientific understanding and gain hands on experience with process development and learn how changes in process impact cell performance and product quality.
- Make intellectual and technical contributions to projects, while working on a collaborative team.
- Learn how to effectively use Electronic Lab Notebooks (ELN), communicate results in team meetings, and navigate a fast-paced biotech environment.
- Working towards the completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Immunology, or related field.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and aseptic technique.
- High level of motivation and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Adaptability, scientific curiosity, and desire to learn new skills.
- Excellent organizational skill and attention to detail as applied to record-keeping.
- Attention to detail as applied to record-keeping.
- Authorized to work in the US during the Co-Op term of employment.
- Previous Co-Op experience is preferred.
- Experience with Electronic Notebook (ELN).
- Knowledge of Design of Experiment (DOE) or statistical analysis.
- Experience with flow cytometry.
- Coursework or experience in oncology or immunology.
Why Join Obsidian…
We’re proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. Join us to make a positive impact on patients, grow your career, and work with a great team.
As a Co-Op at Obsidian, you will build upon the skills that you’ve obtained through your studies and obtain hands on experience that will help position you for future full-time opportunities in the industry. You will gain exposure to the biotechnology industry and learn how to be effective in a professional setting. You will work closely with a highly collaborative and welcoming team working to advance Obsidian’s mission.
You will receive a tremendous amount of support, guidance, and mentorship. Not only will you have a dedicated mentor, but you will also have regular interaction with members of the Cell Therapy team working on other projects. Past Co-Ops have expressed their gratitude in finding Obsidian to be a welcoming environment that encourages questions and exploration.
Our Co-Ops receive a market competitive hourly rate and are able to take advantage of Obsidian’s Commuter Benefits to assist with commuting costs. And who doesn’t love a free lunch? Lunch selections are available from a variety of surrounding restaurants and is delivered daily in both our Cambridge and Bedford locations! Having lunch delivered allows us to gather together and build personal connections. We have a variety of fun social networking opportunities available through our Social Committee including activities like team building activities at Level 99, kayaking outings, fitness challenges, food festivals, after work get-togethers and other events.
We also build in career networking opportunities throughout your Co-Op experience so that you can explore your career interests. You will have the opportunity to meet team members from cross-functional groups and learn about various functions that contribute to drug development. We offer opportunities to chat with Scientists about their career paths. You will also receive guidance on resume writing, how to use LinkedIn effectively, and job search coaching.
Obsidian is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, cultivating a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.