HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of.
Senior Manager, Pilot Plant DownstreamLive
What you will do
Lets do this! Lets change the world! In this vital role, you will lead the Cell Culture and Purification development operations of pipeline molecules and lifecycle management of existing products.
Amgen Pilot Plants are flexible, dynamic development spaces that advance innovative manufacturing technologies alongside normal development activities. This facility is largely comprised of single use systems and technologies resembling current and future next generation manufacturing platforms at Amgen.
This space is also partially dedicated to testing and evaluating new technologies from area vendors/academics to advance development of new product offerings. Science and engineering are the core remit of Pilot Plant function.
Amgen Pilot Plants perform frequent piloting of novel process operations, driving technology development and innovation, as well as executing bioprocessing operations. We produce sound, relevant data for the processes Amgen developments at meaningful scales that enable the rapid, successful transfer of our output to more dedicated manufacturing spaces.
This Pilot Plant, located in Thousand Oaks, CA, focuses primarily on large molecule cell culture and purification operations, from vial thaw to completion of Drug Substance. It also supports innovation across Amgens entire spectrum. The environment is challenging, fast paced and ever changing but very rewarding for those that like hands on science and want to make process improvements in a development space.
- Develop new manufacturing technologies through innovation and in collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Lead the overall team which comprises of an execution team as well as process and automation engineering functions.
- Collaborate with other Amgen Pilot Plants to form alignment in business processes and strategies.
- Direct plant resources and staff to ensure area and plant performance goals are met, working with our Process Development customers to deliver upon their highest priority needs.
- Oversee translating bench scale bioprocessing science into manufacturing scale production methods to support the advancement of pre-clinical pipeline programs.
Planning and Strategy
- Ensure a safe environment where staff, support groups and visitors work in a world class Pilot Plant space.
- Lead a team of scientists and engineers to deliver top notch development, processing and innovation results.
- Drive innovation and technology development through experiments, technical reports, presentations and publications.
- Mentor Process Teams by demonstrating strong, applied science and engineering subject matter expertise.
- Work cross functionally with Process Development Process Teams across the full spectrum of large molecule modalities.
Staffing and Support
- Work closely with the Amgen Pilot Plant Network to develop pilot plant operating strategies to meet a high demand and diverse set of programs and projects.
- Define an operating strategy that meets the needs of the Pilot Plant customers.
- Optimize Pilot Plant production performance to allow for fast, flexible processing of multiple product modalities performed in a variety of operating modes with varying durations.
- Ensure that Pilot Plant capabilities and capacity are aligned with PDs current and future needs/expectations, driving expansion or adjustment as Amgen needs evolve.
- Forecast future Pilot Plant resource needs including expense and capital budgeting, staffing and facility needs.
- Provide high quality, visionary leadership to a team with further extended support staff.
- Ensure functional organizational structure design capability that adapts to changing business needs.
- As the Pilot Plants most senior leader at our Cambridge Site, you will make autonomous decisions for your organization and own the results, including setting strategy, establishing staff/team expectations and holding them accountable.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The experienced professional we seek is an influential leader with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications:
- High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Manufacturing, Process Development or Operations experience OR
- Associates degree and 10 years of Manufacturing, Process Development or Operations experience OR
- Bachelors degree and 8 years of Manufacturing, Process Development or Operations experience OR
- Masters degree and 6years of Manufacturing, Process Development or Operations experience OR
- Doctorate degree and 2 years of Manufacturing, Process Development or Operations experience
- 2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources.
- MBA or Masters degree in engineering, life sciences, chemistry.
- 10+ years of experience in implementing or supporting manufacturing, process development and/or engineering.
- 7+ years leading staff in a development or manufacturing space.
- 3+ years functional area leadership that include identifying goals, aligning resources, assigning tasks, communicating. progress/achievements, developing cost/benefit analysis and negotiating problem resolution.
- 2+ years of experience innovating process improvement, utilizing Operational Excellence tools and techniques (Catalyst, Lean Manufacturing) in a technical function.
- Excellent communication and mediation skills, including executive level communications.
- Experience in a matrixed/global environment at a large company and working in a team driven environment.
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
The annual base salary range for this opportunity in the U.S. is$138,734 - $169,934.
In addition to the base salary, Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.careers.amgen.com
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancers, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.