The Process Research and Development (PRD) group is responsible for inventing and executing the chemical processes and preparing active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) to enable toxicology studies, clinical trials, and drug product development for AbbVie’s pre-clinical and clinical candidates. We create valuable intellectual property through composition of matter, chemical processes, and technology, resulting in the development of safe and cost-effective commercial manufacturing processes.
AbbVie Process Chemistry is seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist to conduct chemical process research and development, supporting projects from pre-clinical stages through commercialization.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and executing chemical processes to support clinical development of potential therapies, which may include small molecules and/or antibody drug conjugates.
- Routinely demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities to resolve key project hurdles.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence”, and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing laboratory research or method development, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present their work at scientific conferences.
- Creates a learning environment, embraces the ideas of others, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Adheres to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, quality, and appropriate handling of materials.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD Degree in Organic Chemistry with typically 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS) or 0+ (PhD) years of experience.
- Possesses a thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own scientific discipline.
- A broad range of functional expertise in modern synthetic organic chemistry and/or biocatalysis, compound purification, spectral analysis, and interpretation.
- An ability to search the chemical literature and evaluate potential solutions to synthetic problems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Candidates are encouraged to include a research summary with application.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.