Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You’ll Make
With treatments for hundreds of diseases in our sights, we’ve built a data science team with domain expertise in computer science, bioinformatics, physics, biology, mathematics, applied statistics, and more. We work side-by-side with biologists, automation scientists, chemists, software engineers, and many others; together, we develop the tools and methods to turn our experimental data into treatments for pathologies that affect the lives of countless individuals.
In this role, you will be an analytical and computational expert; transforming experimental questions into analytical pipelines and deploying them in service of various high-throughput data generation and assay development projects.
The Team You’ll Join
- Strategize in collaboration with biologists, engineers, and data/ML scientists on the next steps for evolving, expanding, and scaling various components of Recusion’s biological research platform.
- Explore novel metrics, analyses, or models to answer unresolved biological questions about our data generation processes and downstream applications.
- Deliver scalable analytical software tools for the evaluation and communication of data generated by Recursion’s high-dimensional, high-throughput assay platform.
You will be joining a cross-functional team with expertise in biology, automation engineering, data science, software engineering, and product development. You can expect to be challenged with new scientific domains, high expectations for analytical software development, unresolved questions about analytical methods and applications, and ambitious goals to industrialize various aspects of the drug discovery process. Specifically, your team will focus on developing and scaling cellular models of disease for use in a wide range of research programs. A bold, collaborative, growth-oriented, and team-first mindset will be critical to the success of you and your team in this exceptionally challenging and exciting industry.
This is a hybrid position based at our headquarters in Salt Lake City, UT.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Practical experience applying probability, statistics, and machine learning to real-world datasets in service of academic or business applications and recommendations.
- High fluency with the Python data stack (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, etc).
- Experience in collaborative software development and peer code review, including version control tools like git.
- Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining software in a continuous-use production environment.
- Experience working within a fast-paced interdisciplinary team to solve business-relevant problems and communicating complex concepts and methods to audiences with diverse technical backgrounds.
Nice to have: experience analyzing biological datasets and collaborating with laboratory research scientists, experience with high dimensional data sets, experience applying best-practice software development principles to scientific code-bases, experience with Google Cloud Platform. .
- 3+ years experience in an industry setting. Post-baccalaureate experience in a related scientific or engineering field developing data science methods or tools may be suitable with equivalent experience in the development and application of analytical tools and machine learning in postdoctoral work.
- Data Scientist (-) and Staff Data Scientist (+) levels may be considered for candidates with exceptionally well-aligned skillsets and/or directly relevant experience.
- A record of product development in domains directly relevant to Recursion’s platform, and/or experience as a technical lead driving execution in these areas is strongly preferred.
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
- Developing: $170,000
- Skilled: $179,000
- Expert: $192,000
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for United States based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for US new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area.Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.