At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
The Principal Engineer – Data Integration will enable information and data flow between Manufacturing Science, Quality, Engineering, Supply Chain, and Operations by leveraging IT and Process Automation Technologies. This role will support innovation evaluation and application for Manufacturing Process Automation and IT Systems with a focus on data historians, advanced analytics, cyber security, and process optimization.
Lilly is at a critical juncture as we tool up to realize the potential of our product pipeline. We are building new processing capabilities around the world, and emphasizing emerging, cutting edge processing technologies, such as continuous processing and advanced biotech platforms. Additionally, we are recapitalizing older assets, and bringing the operational philosophies in line with current technologies. Lilly places a high value on fully automated manufacturing processes, as the quality and operational benefits are baseline expectations of new process design.
This role is a mid-level engineering role which requires a 4-year technical degree, preferably in Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, or related science field. The position requires high learning agility and an interest and/or background in control programming and data integration and analysis. There is an expectation of travel to other Lilly international locations generally not exceeding 15-20%.
The primary focus of the role will be to work with our Process Automation and IT systems to integrate data supporting major capital projects. The first project will be Lilly’s new manufacturing facility in RTP. These systems include (but not limited too) process automation platforms, HMI/SCADA, Data Historians, and Manufacturing Execution systems. A high level of experience in automation architecture and technology trends is desired, with additional expertise needed in the primary areas of process automation and control: safety systems, process control, motion control, cyber security, and batch control.
Automation & Control Engineering is part of the Lilly Corporate Engineering Tech Center (ETC). The ETC is a technical resource for training, standards, project implementation, and the center of engineering excellence for the corporation, providing deeply technical resources to solve the most intractable technical problems in manufacturing.
- Work safely and continually look for improvements to both people and equipment safety.
- Data Integration –Develop robust and innovative solutions enabling our manufacturing engineers to utilize data to drive improvement decisions, identify issues, and utilize advanced analytics.
- RTP Automation Integration delivery – lead integration delivery on new lines at RTP.
- Corporate Initiatives – support key corporate initiatives with robust data integration strategies enabling connectivity of Lilly platforms. This includes major Capital Delivery and partnerships between Lilly Engineering and IT.
- Lead design, development, and deployment of technical and application solutions to meet business requirements across an IT/Automation portfolio that are cost effective and sustainable
- Establish and implement technology migration strategies and provide technical oversight across an IT/Automation portfolio.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in process automation engineering and data integration (e.g. data historians, data analytics, visualization, MES integration, enterprise level applications, and security)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in engineering or a related science field.
- Knowledge of Data Integration, Databases, enterprise systems, Process Automation Systems, Historian, and Manufacturing Execution Systems.
- Core knowledge related to ISE S95 andS88 principles and IT/Automation integration
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management
- Ability to work well with different cultures
- Experience in pharma or GMP industry Experience working with validated systems
- Expertise in Lilly’s preferred platforms, including Rockwell Automation, Emerson DeltaV, PMX/PharmaSuite, and Syncade
- Experience in OSI PI Data Historians
- Monday through Friday Day Shift of 7:30am-4:30pm with some allowance for flex time.
- Location: Indianapolis, IN
- Travel: Domestic and International travel required (20%)
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. Our current groups include: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network, African American Network, Chinese Culture Network, Early Career Professionals, Japanese International Leadership Network (JILN), Lilly India Network, Organization of Latinos at Lilly, PRIDE (LGBTQ + Allies), Veterans Leadership Network, Women’s Network, Working and Living with Disabilities. Learn more about all of our groups.