About the Department
The Clinical, Medical and Regulatory (CMR) department at Novo Nordisk is one of the most diverse and collaborative groups within the organization. From health-care-provider interactions and developing and implementing regulatory strategies with the FDA to providing medical education and collecting data to support efficacy and new product development, CMR is involved. The one thing that keeps us all marching to the same beat is our patient-centered focus. At Novo Nordisk, you will help patients around the world. As their needs evolve, so does our challenge to find better and more innovative ways to improve their quality of life. We’re changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
NOTE-We have multiple openings that we are hiring for.
The Strategy Director is a senior individual contributor role, and the job function requires a very high degree of independence, proactiveness and ability to influence. The Strategy Directors identifies innovative solutions and always seeks to improve working procedures, quality, and output. The Strategy Director serves as the strategy lead for one or more therapeutic areas. This role will interface with key stakeholders across Novo Nordisk Inc including Futures Business Strategy (FBS), Clinical Medical Regulatory (CMR), Marketing, and the Global organization to drive strategic development of medical products providing patients with integrated product solutions, based on an understanding of patients' needs in line with the 5D aspiration (Drug, Device, Diagnostic tool, Digital solution, and Data utilization). This includes the development of holistic, consolidated North America Operations (NAO) input to Global Product Development Plans based on local unmet needs in therapy areas. Responsibilities for this role will include leading the NAO Project Team, serving as a key interface between the Global HQ and NAO. In addition, the Strategy Director will represent NAO on Global Project Teams (GPT) and provide evaluation of assets under consideration for licensing and/or acquisition, when needed.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director, Clinical Development Strategy (CDS) and will assist the Executive Director in managing multiple internal relationships within Novo Nordisk Inc. and Global HQ. Key internal relationships include Project Managers, Clinical Directors, Medical Affairs directors, HEOR Directors, Market Access director, Marking directors and Global Project Vice Presidents (PVPs). The Strategy Director role will be without direct managerial responsibility. External relationships include, investigators, key opinion leaders, consultants, and key customer groups.
- Lead the overall development of the product development
- Lead NAO Project Team(s) to influence in Global product development
- Represent NAO on Global Project Teams (GPTs)
- Responsible for NAO response to Global Product Development (PD) Council topics
- Responsible for NAO response to PDP regional input process
- Communicate and negotiate with stakeholders across many different functions at Novo Nordisk Inc. (NNI) and HQ
- Gain endorsement of NNI input to PDPs from NAO PDP Forum
- Partner with Project Manager to track workstreams under the Project Teams
- Provide cross-functional strategic direction and project leadership
- Secure line management input and alignment from Executive Director and Vice President of Medical Affairs
- Develop trusting working relationships with Project Vice Presidents (PVP) relevant for therapeutic area
- Member of Global Project Teams (GPT)
- Share output, learnings, and relevant actions with NNI stakeholders where appropriate
- Evaluation of emerging portfolio assets
- Provide strategic evaluation of assets for licensing or merger and acquisition, at request of NNI and HQ
- Present findings and recommendations to NNI management
- Other essential functions may also apply at times based on business need and at the discretion of the Executive Director
The Strategy Director is an NNI home office role. Up to 20% overnight travel with the expectation that the Strategy Director travels to HQ regularly to establish and build close relationships with HQ stakeholders including PVPs.
An MD required; with PhD degree desired
A minimum of 10 years combined clinical drug development, medical affairs, clinical research, and/or industry experience required
A solid understanding of the US health care system preferred
Strategic mindset and stakeholder management skills
The ability to work independently and proactively to identify, address and resolve challenges; and to be considered a valuable resource who sets a leadership example for others
Superior communication skills, both oral and written
Ability to develop and lead high performing cross functional teams
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.