AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
Since 2013, AbbVie has expanded its commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area with the consolidation of three Bay Area facilities to a new Bay Area headquarters in South San Francisco. AbbVie employees in the Bay Area drive AbbVie’s research-based, innovation driven missions in healthcare. Specifically, Bay Area employees bring deep scientific expertise and commercial excellence to advance cancer care. Current oncology areas of focus include immuno-oncology, tumor targeting, tumor dependency and precision medicine. With facilities positioned in the heart of the biotechnology industry, we are able to collaborate with the best and brightest minds in oncology.
We have an exciting opportunity available for an Associate Scientist II/Scientist I within the Pharmaceutical Development Group in the AbbVie Bay Area (ABA) CMC Biologics department in South San Francisco, CA.
Key responsibilities include:
· Execute formulation composition and drug product process development studies for sterile liquids and lyophilized dosage forms
· Manufacture drug product formulation batches for evaluating formulation stability and/or to support animal studies. Conduct stability studies to enable selection of formulation composition and container closure for liquid and lyophilized dosage forms for protein therapeutics
· Conduct clinical in-use studies to guide dose solution administration
· Analyze data, interpret results and draw conclusions from multistage experiments; note significant deviations and propose relevant new experiments
· Generate high-quality data based on sound scientific principles and prepare formulation data summaries, technical reports, and scientific presentations
· Support functional technical initiatives by investigating and developing novel experimental approaches and/or technologies in the field of drug product development
· Maintain oversight of day-to-day laboratory activities; manage inventory of raw materials and drug product packaging and manufacturing supplies; coordinate ordering, shipping, and receiving
· BS with a minimum of 3-5 years or MS with a minimum of 0-2 years of experience in pharmaceutics, pharmaceutical sciences, chemical engineering, analytical sciences, or equivalent field in the biotechnology industry
· Strong technical background encompassing protein chemistry is required
· Candidate must exhibit the technical ability to execute and troubleshoot experiments through rational and critical thinking. Must be highly organized and detail-oriented
· Hands-on experience with analytical techniques used for protein characterization and stability testing is required
· Prior CMC development experience in protein formulation, lyophilization process development, drug delivery, or analytical functions is highly preferred
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.