Who We Are
From research and discovery to post-market clinical development, our WWRD engine involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with genetic diseases.
BioMarin is seeking a scientist to build our Endophenotype and Genomics teams.
At BioMarin, we transform lives through genetic discovery. We lead in developing breakthrough treatments for debilitating and life-threatening genetic diseases that lack effective therapies. We focus on neglected patient populations, often children, with inherited disorders that can be hard to diagnose. Our research and early development teams work at the vanguard of genomic data, methods, and technologies to pioneer best-in-class and first-in-class therapeutics and identify the patients whose lives can be transformed by our drugs. We develop drugs in a wide variety of modalities and across a diverse array of disease areas. Right now, BioMarin has the deepest and widest pipeline of drugs in our 30-year history.
You will be joining a team at the forefront of BioMarin’s genetic discovery effort. Your work will focus on how the genetics of quantitative traits underpins disease biology. Efforts within this new function will focus on exploiting endophenotypes such as proteomics, metabolomics, clinical lab results, medical device data, and image-derived features to grow and advance our pipeline. Together, we will work to nominate and validate genetic targets and indications, elucidate the molecular mechanisms of disease, hypothesize therapeutic strategies, and develop diagnostic, prognostic, or efficacy biomarkers.
This position can be remote or hybrid at one of our office locations. Remote candidates must be willing to accommodate a schedule that overlaps with European and US time zones and be willing to travel a few weeks per year to on-site team building activities and conferences.
- Gathering, generating, analyzing, and interpreting genetic data with diverse quantitative and binary phenotypes from large untargeted cohorts or small targeted ones
- Communicating discoveries to internal colleagues with a variety of backgrounds and to the wider scientific community through presentations and publications
- Collaborating to empower colleagues in Statistical Genetics, Computational Biology, Functional Genomics, Clinical Genomics, and Biomarkers groups
- Designing and testing therapeutic hypotheses in collaboration with our Research and Early Development functions
- Identifying and managing genetic cohorts with external collaborators and contract research partners
- PhD in Genetics, Biology, Computer Science, or commensurate experience
- Experience with GWAS or sequencing-based genetic association methods
- Proven track record of success as shown by publications, preprints, or presentations
- Strong computational abilities and fluency in at least one major programming language (ideally Python or R)
- Willingness and ability to quickly acquire new skills and knowledge
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and lay audiences
- Relevant postdoctoral or industry research experience
- Experience with Mendelian randomization and generation or integration of multiomics data (genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, or metabolomic)
- Solid background in molecular biology and mechanistic understanding of disease etiology
- Experience with clinical data or biobanks
Education & Experience:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
- Role is remote unless an individual lives within 100 miles of our San Rafael campus (94901). Then the role reverts to being hyrbid requiring an onsite presence twice weekly.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.