Sr. Counsel, Corporate and Business Development
Sumitomo Pharma America (SMPA) is focused on delivering therapeutic and scientific breakthroughs in areas of critical patient need spanning psychiatry & neurology, oncology, urology, women’s health, rare disease, and cell & gene therapies. The company’s diverse portfolio includes several marketed products and a robust pipeline of early- to late-stage assets. Building on Sumitomo Pharma’s 125-year legacy of innovation, SMPA leverages proprietary in-house technology platforms and advanced analytics capabilities to accelerate discovery, development, and help bring novel therapies to patients sooner. SMPA is a Sumitomo Pharma company. [For more information, visit Sumitomo-pharma.com]Job Overview
Sumitomo Pharma America is looking for an experienced life sciences transactional attorney who can be successful in our fast-paced, patient-focused culture. This position will be responsible for providing legal advice, guidance and support for corporate development (i.e., mergers, acquisitions, divestitures) and business development (i.e., licensing and collaborations) transactions, and for managing strategic alliances. As Sr. Counsel, Corporate and Business Development, you will report to the SVP, Head of Legal, Biopharma.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and support drafting and negotiations, structuring and counseling on life sciences transactions (including mergers and acquisitions, strategic acquisitions and divestitures, global licenses, collaborations, joint ventures and strategic alliances, commercial supply and distribution agreements and other transactions. Identify and resolve legal issues and identify and help resolve critical business issues arising from transactions.
- Oversee and manage the legal due diligence process in collaboration with IP, Regulatory and other functions.
- Partner with Corporate Development and Business Development clients to deliver innovative solutions and to ensure strategic alignment in all transactions, escalating matters as appropriate with the judgment to understand when escalation is necessary.
- Manage strategic partner alliances and other strategic business relationships.
- Counsel business clients across a broad sphere of influence, internally and externally, on transactional and strategic issues.
- Contribute to highly collaborative culture with effective relationships with peers in the legal department as well as other key functions such as Regulatory, Compliance and IP.
- Establish close partnerships with business leaders and their teams that result in counsel being sought in area of expertise.
- Demonstrate a service-oriented approach to advising internal client groups.
- Demonstrate full commitment to the Company’s mission and values.
- Effectively and efficiently work with other in-house subject matter experts and outside legal counsel.
Key Core Competencies
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex transaction agreements including asset purchase agreements, licensing agreements, collaboration agreements, and major manufacturing, supply and distribution agreements
- Working knowledge of applicable legal and regulatory requirements related to the commercialization of pharmaceutical products
- Understanding of the pharmaceutical/life sciences industry
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to manage internal client expectations and build and maintain productive external relationships
- Ability to listen to client needs and collaborate and interact well with a variety of personalities/capabilities across functions and franchises
- High integrity
- Ability to assess risk, ability to make decisions and think strategically while applying knowledge of applicable legal issues
- Creative, thoughtful and practical problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, and business judgment
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, to work efficiently, to manage, and to conclude, in a timely manner, many agreements, projects, and issues
- Strong “roll up your sleeves” work ethic
- Willingness to travel and work extended hours, as needed
Education and Experience
- Law degree from recognized US university. Qualification to practice law and membership in good standing in the bar of at least one state, and the ability to obtain an in-house counsel limited license
- 4-8 years of legal M&A, licensing and/or collaboration transactional experience post law school in a large law firm or in-house at a U.S. pharmaceutical or biotechnology company, or combination of the two
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
This position will be performed in whole or in part in NYC. The range of $173,000 to $256,000 only applies to base salary, which is only a component of the total rewards package for this role. The base salary range suggested here does not include elements which may be included in the total compensation for this position, such as bonuses, overtime, benefits, perquisites, and/or company contributions to employee 401(k) accounts. Total compensation, including base salary to be offered, will depend on elements unique to each candidate, including candidate experience, years of service, individual performance, geographic considerations, company and business unit needs and budget, and market conditions.
Confidential Data:All information (written, verbal, electronic, etc.) that an employee encounters is considered confidential.
Compliance :Achieve and maintain Compliance with all applicable regulatory, legal and operational rules and procedures, by ensuring that all plans and activities for and on behalf of Sumitomo Pharma America (SMPA) and affiliates are carried out with the "best" industry practices and the highest ethical standards.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Fast paced environment handling multiple demands. Must be able to exercise appropriate judgment as necessary. Requires a high level of initiative and independence. Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Requires ability to use a personal computer for extended periods of time.
Sumitomo Pharma America (SMPA) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer
Sumitomo Pharma America (SMPA) is committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information about EEO and the Law, please visit the following pages:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement