Sr. Payroll Coordinator
Sumitomo Pharma America (SMPA) is focused on delivering therapeutic and scientific breakthroughs in areas of critical patient need spanning psychiatry & neurology, oncology, urology, women’s health, rare disease, and cell & gene therapies. The company’s diverse portfolio includes several marketed products and a robust pipeline of early- to late-stage assets. Building on Sumitomo Pharma’s 125-year legacy of innovation, SMPA leverages proprietary in-house technology platforms and advanced analytics capabilities to accelerate discovery, development, and help bring novel therapies to patients sooner. SMPA is a Sumitomo Pharma company. [For more information, visit Sumitomo-pharma.com]Job Overview
We are currently seeking a dynamic, highly motivated, and experienced individual for the position of Sr. Payroll Coordinator. The Sr. Payroll Coordinator will contribute to the shared processing of the full payroll cycle for SMPA. This role is vital in ensuring payroll is processed timely and correctly. This role reports into Director of Payroll and works closely with other members of Payroll, Accounting, HR and other groups across the company.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the success of the bi-weekly payroll process by supporting the day-to-day operations of the payroll department.
- Process bi-weekly payroll items such as rate changes, leave of absences, reviewing tax withholding and direct deposit changes, address changes, and other payroll related items.
- Review and input for all payroll related garnishments and lien documents complying with all laws regarding payments and responses.
- Processing off cycle checks as needed for terminations or other reasons.
- Assist in processing off cycle bonus payrolls.
- Act as a back up for other members of payroll.
- Maintain payroll related records for bi-weekly, off cycle, and adjustment payrolls and yearly records including W-2’s.
- Managing employee time reporting data including to ensure accuracy including non-exempt employees, exempt time off reporting and acting as a main point of contact for time reporting system.
- Serves as a point of contact for employees with payroll related questions.
- Prepares reporting and queries to maintain Payroll data integrity.
- Research and resolve payroll discrepancies in coordination with HR.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local tax and withholding laws.
- Ensures compliance with all job-related Company policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with all job-related Sarbanes-Oxley control requirements.
- Special projects as assigned by Finance.
Key Core Competencies
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Attention to detail, organized, and analytical.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Maintain confidentiality of all Payroll and HR related records.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team environment.
- Open to learning and professional development.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 3-5 years of multi-state payroll experience in a high-volume environment
- Some college experience a plus
- Understanding of appropriate tax jurisdiction based on work and resident state.
- Understanding of Payroll Tax compliance
- Experience with ADP a must
- Experience with Workday a bonus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications
- Minimum 0 - 3 years of relevant experience in biotech or pharmaceutical industry
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The hourly range for this role is $26.54 to $34.81.Base salary is part of our total rewards package which also includes the opportunity for merit-based salary increases, overtime, short incentive plan participation, eligibility for our 401(k) plan, medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances and leaves provided in line with your work state. Our robust time-off policy includes up to 120 hours of vacation per year, 11 paid holidays plus additional time off for a shut-down period during the last week of December, 80 hours of paid sick time upon hire and each year thereafter and access to our service recognition program. Total compensation, including base salary to be offered, will depend on elements unique to each candidate, including candidate experience, skills, education and other factors permitted by law.
Confidential Data:All information (written, verbal, electronic, etc.) that an employee encounters is considered confidential.
Compliance :Achieve and maintain Compliance with all applicable regulatory, legal and operational rules and procedures, by ensuring that all plans and activities for and on behalf of Sumitomo Pharma America (SMPA) and affiliates are carried out with the "best" industry practices and the highest ethical standards.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Fast paced environment handling multiple demands. Must be able to exercise appropriate judgment as necessary. Requires a high level of initiative and independence. Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Requires ability to use a personal computer for extended periods of time.
Sumitomo Pharma America (SMPA) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer
Sumitomo Pharma America (SMPA) is committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information about EEO and the Law, please visit the following pages:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement