Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
As a Senior Bioinformatics Research Engineer, you will work on Freenome’s research platform, developing and deploying bioinformatics pipelines and computational approaches. As part of an interdisciplinary R&D team, you will work in close collaboration with computational biologists, machine learning scientists and software engineers. You will develop cutting edge solutions at the intersection of machine learning, genetic sequencing technology, biological data, and distributed systems. These contributions will drive our mission to detect cancer at its most actionable and early stages.
What you’ll do:
- Work at the intersection of biological data, software engineering and machine learning research
- Lead the development of Freenome’s bioinformatics research engineering framework and internal tools
- Engineer robust and reproducible data pipelines that enable cutting edge liquid biopsy research
- Develop software and workflows that support a long term vision for bioinformatics research engineering, and provide a model for product software
- Manage and integrate data sources across the company (laboratory, bioinformatics, clinical) to enable advanced multiomic analysis
- Build for significant growth and scaling
- Improve the reliability and scalability of our research platform as it grows
- Enable data-driven science discoveries in biology and healthcare
- PhD in a quantitative field and 3+ years of experience with bioinformatics infrastructure, automation, and software engineering or B.S./M.S. and equivalent experience
- Strong computational and programming skills, in Python or equivalent, including thorough experience with large scale systems and user bases
- Fundamental understanding of bioinformatics, including the central dogma, molecular or cancer biology, or familiarity with regulatory processes. Extensive experience in analyzing genomics data, particularly next-generation sequencing (NGS)
- Robust history of delivering major technical projects or analyses
- Experience in implementing statistical methods and algorithms that scale to large datasets
- Demonstrated ability to partner with laboratory and computational scientists and engineers to translate scientific roadmaps into concrete products
- Ability to operate in a highly cross-functional environment where collaboration across disciplines is absolutely necessary
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $157,250 - $240,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits depending on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer, and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.