At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Position Brand Description:
The Packaging Engineering Technician is responsible for machine maintenance on packaging / assembly equipment consisting of tray unloader, vision systems, laser marking stations, conveyors, robotics, Cartoning and Case packaging equipment and other pharmaceutical manufacturing equipment currently in service. This role is first in escalation from maintenance mechanics for troubleshooting as well as providing additional maintenance shift coverage. This position will require the development of expertise in production processes and equipment and/or control system technologies. The RTP Maintenance Engineering Technician will help ensure that equipment is maintained in a qualified state, can be operated safely, and maintenance is properly performed on the systems.
Key Objectives / Deliverables
- Responsible for maintaining a safe work environment, working safely, and accountable for supporting all HSE Corporate and Site Goals.
- Assures that operational and maintenance procedures and practices reflect safety concerns.
- Finds and eliminates safety / quality issues with equipment and processes.
- Participates in safety reviews and audits, as required.
- Performs activities in accordance with cGMPs and applicable procedures.
- Initiates work orders to support maintenance and troubleshooting activities.
- Performs break / fix maintenance.
- Trains maintenance personnel in maintenance execution and processes.
- Escalates issues to front line supervisor, operations, and engineering following escalation model.
- Understands the production process and critical process parameters.
- Identifies opportunities to improve quality using equipment performance data and by assuring maintenance is performed appropriately.
- Seeks out and identifies opportunities to improve equipment operational effectiveness and reliability.
- Infuses equipment uptime, line efficiency, and increases overall equipment effectiveness in a production environment by condition monitoring, troubleshooting, and assisting in engineering changes.
- Understands the bottleneck section of each line and becomes an expert at repairing bottleneck sections.
- Ensures job plans are accurate.
- Eliminates non-value-added PM’s.
- Updates GMARS to ensure locations, assets, and spare parts are set up at a level which allows line mechanics to increase up time.
- Works within production team to provide support required to meet goals of safety, quality, uptime, and quantity.
- Monitors specific equipment signals / measurements that will improve the PM program’s success rate measured by reduced unscheduled maintenance.
- Develops repair part lists with specific inventory levels given historical demand, supplier lead-time, component costs, and risk to business stoppage.
- Demonstrates a proactive approach for reliability planning.
- Plans and implements reliability solutions identified by process team members.
- Completes work orders.
- Helps develop setup and troubleshooting guides to promote runtime.
- Provides technical support for process and engineering teams.
- Provides technical support by:
- Investigating and resolving issues that create production delays.
- Transferring knowledge of equipment capabilities and operational techniques to operators, engineering, and maintenance.
- Implementing tools for operations and engineering to learn and work more proficiently.
- Automated machine maintenance experience.
- Knowledge and compliance with safety requirements (LOTO, live equipment troubleshooting).
- Experience with a CMMS (GMARS preferred).
- Ability to solve problems.
- Track record of maintaining a neat and orderly work area (good housekeeping).
- Ability to follow written procedures while performing maintenance activities.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe work environment, working in a safe manner, and being accountable for supporting all HSE Corporate and Site Goals.
- Minimum 10 years maintenance experience.
- Journeyman trade or equivalent experience preferred.
- Experience within a regulated industry; FDA regulated industries is good to have.
- Ability to perform quality work without close supervision.
- Basic understanding of CMMS (e.g., Maximo), Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Experience in providing a high-level of customer service.
- Ability to perform engineering functions and assist engineering.
- High School diploma or GED
- Associates Degree (or equivalent work experience)
Position shift is 5:45 - 6:00, 3-2-2-3 shift which could change due to business needs. The RTP Maintenance Engineering Technician must be flexible to cover other shifts if needed. Some overtime will be required as needed to support weekend manufacturing, building shutdowns, and emergency work.
Be on call unless unavailable communication has been made. Respond to calls off shift.
Some allergens may be present in the plant. Mobility requirements and exposure to allergens should be considered when applying for this position.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. Our current groups include: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network, African American Network, Chinese Culture Network, Early Career Professionals, Japanese International Leadership Network (JILN), Lilly India Network, Organization of Latinos at Lilly, PRIDE (LGBTQ + Allies), Veterans Leadership Network, Women’s Network, Working and Living with Disabilities. Learn more about all of our groups.