The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing extraordinary genetics and genomics research, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials. Within the GRC, the Department of Bioinformatics is responsible for data analysis and provides analytical insight for both internal and external data. This involves the identification and characterization of underlying genetic, epigenetic, or genomic factors that are associated with disease diagnosis, prognosis, and response (efficacy and safety) to drug treatment, identification of new targets, and interpretation of the impact of genetic and genomic evidence from population-based studies. To attend to these challenges, we have an exciting opportunity for a Bioinformatics Engineer in the Pipeline Development team in a hybrid arrangement at AbbVie’s South San Francisco, CA location. The candidate will work closely with other engineers, computational biologists, and research project teams to develop and deploy processing and analysis pipelines that enable and accelerate novel drug discovery.
The ideal candidate will be based in the South San Francisco area and have the ability to work from AbbVie’s South San Francisco location, but remote talent located in the pacific time zone will also be considered.
- Develop and support NGS pipelines using scientific workflow language via best practices, including unit testing, CI/CD, containerization, and code reviews.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Design, develop and maintain Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), microservices, and asynchronous queuing systems.
- Create and maintain documentation for project work.
- Present project contributions in a range of settings (engineering peers, stakeholder sessions, broader AbbVie science-sharing events).
- Work with bioinformatic scientists as the stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Communicate with research-serving IT support to resolve on-prem and cloud HPC infrastructure obstacles.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Software Engineering, Computer Science, data scientist/engineering, bioinformatics, computer and electrical engineering, or related field with typically 5-7+ (BS) or 2-5+(MS) years of relevant experience.
- Fluency in Python and familiarity with SQL and database technologies.
- Experience with at least one scientific workflow language such as CWL, WDL, nextflow, or snakemake.
- NGS bioinformatics pipeline development experience.
- Demonstrated experience with container technology (Docker, Singularity/Aptainer)
- AWS Data Platform experience: S3, EC2
- Familiarity with data workflow development and ETL process.
- Familiarity with standard tools and data formats related to genomics resequencing projects processing and analysis.
- Strong communication skills in a collaborative environment.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
Applicable only to applicants applying to a position in any location with pay disclosure requirements under state or local law:
The compensation range described below is the range of possible base pay compensation that the Company believes in good faith it will pay for this role at the time of this posting based on the job grade for this position. Individual compensation paid within this range will depend on many factors including geographic location, and we may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range. This range may be modified in the future.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive programs.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole and absolute discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole and absolute discretion, consistent with applicable law.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.