Senior Director, Business Strategy and Operations
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Gilead Sciences is currently seeking a Senior Director of Business Strategy & Operations for Medical Affairs to drive short and long terms department initiatives in innovation, improving efficiency, and collaboration. This newly created role will specifically take the lead on driving execution and overseeing successful implementation and communication of Project Magic initiatives across the MA organization. The role will report to the Executive Director, Chief of Staff of RSQ and Medical Affairs.
You will be instrumental in the success of Medical Affairs' long-term vision and strategy. You will provide a holistic and strategic lens across the key initiatives, identify interdependencies, solve complex business problems, and oversee the on-going planning and implementation of initiatives, seeking guidance from other colleagues as needed. You will work with colleagues and leaders across MA, plus cross-functional partners and stakeholders. You will develop regular updates with leadership in executive meetings and gain high visibility across the organization.Specific Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:
- Driving overall Project Magic strategy and program management:
- Lead periodic check-ins with ongoing worksteam leads to track progress against key milestones and performance indicators set for each workstream, identify risks/interdependencies and determine escalation path to resolve issues with the MA LT
- Manage the agenda and follow-up items from Project MAgic Steering Committee meetings, including the decision to start new or graduate Project MAgic workstreams
- Drive the process to start new Project MAgic workstreams, including identification of team leaders and members, chartering and kick-off
- Develop presentations for key forums (e.g., All Hands Meetings) and other written updates to various audiences including but not limited to MA Leadership Team, Development Leadership Team, Commercial Leadership Team, the broader MA department (see communications below)
- Secure project management resources (from Global Project Management or external consultants/vendors) for workstreams as needed
- Work with workstream leads and associated workstream project managers to successfully deliver and implement workstream deliverables, including but not limited to:
- Overseeing/supporting the transition to cost-effective outsourcing models for operational activities
- Supporting the creation of newly formed operational groups
- Overseeing/supporting implementation of key process efficiency improvements
- Ensuring the necessary change management and communication plans are in place and aligned with the MA Leadership Team/ Project MAgic Steering Committee and oversee their execution, including but not limited to:
- Impacted population assessments; inclusion, co-creation and feedback gathering from impacted populations
- HR change management requirements (e.g., job descriptions, postings, etc.)
- Procedural document / SOP change management requirements
- Training requirements
- Communication plans (key messages, messenger, audience, timing, sequencing, format)
- Partner with external communications vendor for portions of the above as needed, including leveraging change champions
- 14+ years of experience with a BS/BA in a relevant discipline.
- 12+ years of experience with a MS/MA/MBA/PhD in a relevant discipline.
- PMP or CCMP certification a plus.
- Medical Affairs or related experience in the biopharma industry.
- Experience leading cross-functional projects and global, matrix teams and proven track record of successfully leading large scale, complex, time-sensitive projects.
- Strong project management skills, as evidenced by ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously without compromise to timelines or quality.
- Strong leadership presence with demonstrated ability to lead without authority and influence programs, projects and/or initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal skills, understanding of team dynamics, and comfort interacting with internal and external teams of all levels, including Senior Management.
- Strong communication and organizational skills. Demonstrable abilities to effectively communicate project direction and status to varying organizational levels, including leadership teams, executives and steering committees.
- Comfort with ambiguity and changing business priorities, adapt to working in a fast-paced environment and rapidly changing business needs.
- Proven ability to challenge current business standards and processes, with a track record of proposing effective solutions to problems.
The salary range for this position is: $266,815.00 - $345,290.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.