: Research Associate – Bioassay Analytical Development (Contract)
: Scientist II, Analytical Development
: Analytical Development
: Brisbane, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo
genome editing, and in vivo
genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today's medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo
genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let's build a better future together.
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to support the development of our Adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy products and gene-edited cellular therapies. In this role, the candidate will contribute to developing and qualifying a new cellular platform to enable a variety of Sangamo's cell and gene therapy development programs. This is a laboratory-based position that requires creativity, organization, attention to detail, excellent communication and presentation skills, and a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of company goals. The ideal candidate will be experienced in using mammalian cells to develop appropriate cell models to support cell-based assays along with a fundamental understanding of ICH guidelines for the method qualification. The environment is exciting, fast-paced and offers the opportunity to work at the cutting edge of cell and gene therapy.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Work with the lead Scientist on designing, implementing, and optimizing cell line development and banking strategies to support our bioassay analytical development work.
- Work with the lead Scientist on the development, long-term characterization, and transfer of relevant cell lines to support our programs to advance from process development to analytical development and quality control.
- Design and execute experiments to introduce genetic modifications into cell lines to generate stable cell lines expressing target proteins or genes in the desired direction.
- Employ molecular biology techniques such as DNA cloning, transfection, viral transduction, and CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing to introduce desired genetic modifications into cell lines.
- Perform trend analysis to monitor the performance of cell lines over time.
- Independently analyze, interpret, provide conclusions, and present experimental data at internal meetings.
- Collaborate with the Analytical Development team, Upstream/Downstream Process functions, Formulation, and Quality Control departments.
- Creating electronic documentation for each task, including cleaning procedures, aseptic processing techniques, and other assay-related steps in a contemporaneous manner.
- Contribute to the completion of milestones associated with specific project plans.
- Participate in team activities such as routine laboratory organization of samples and reagents and maintenance of lab equipment.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
- BS/MS in Biological Sciences such as Molecular Biology, Immunology, Virology, or related discipline with a minimum 1 year of industry experience is required.
- Proven laboratory experience and expertise in mammalian cell culture (primary and immortalized cells) and cell-based assays along with gene/protein expression assays (ddPCR, qPCR, ELISA, and Flow cytometry) is essential.
- Experience in methods and skills associated with recombinant cell line development (cell differentiation, immortalization, viral infection, gene editing, gene transduction, cell selection, FACS, and cell bank generation) is highly desired.
- Experience in statistical analysis softwares such as JMP, SoftMax Pro, QUBAS, and GraphPad Prism and fluency in electronic lab notebook documentation preferred.
- Previous experience in cell and gene therapy-based drug development and regulated environment is a plus.
- An understanding of USP/ICH guidelines for analytical method development, qualification/validation is strong plus.
- Detail-oriented, organized with an ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to document procedures and results and keep accurate detailed records.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suites such as word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint and relevant scientific software is desirable.
Sangamo is committed to fostering belonging for all employees and embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion in recruiting and hiring. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual's race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Commitment to Safety
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
The anticipated salary range is for candidates who will work in our Brisbane or Point Richmond, CA offices. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and length of experience with the job, type and length of experience within the industry, education, etc.. This salary range may not apply to remote positions that work in other states.
Note to External Recruiters
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. If you wish to be considered for the presentation of candidates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will reach out to you directly if there is a business need for your services.