The Associate Director operates as a strategic communications consultant to set and maintain HR communications strategy, key messages and narratives that drive understanding and engagement of what AbbVie offers its employees. This role will help bring the HR Communications team’s vision to reality: creating and delivering communications to activate, inspire and engage current and future employees to deeply connect them to AbbVie while empowering employees to drive business success.
- Sets the communications strategy, utilizing expert writing and consulting skills to develop multi-faceted high-visibility messaging and strategic communication plans that have company-wide, global impact.
- Develops global communications plans and writes accompanying key messages and narratives, ensuring they are aligned to culture, equality, equity, diversity and inclusion (EED&I) and employee value proposition messaging, in addition to being aligned to the HR external plan.
- Uses consulting and writing expertise to explain complex content in a clear and understandable way to employee and leadership audiences, utilizing various communications channels.
- Recommends innovative approaches to delivering communications that effectively tell the AbbVie story, providing the overview, framework and “voice” for communications across all channels.
- Through internal client and reader intimacy, directs the team in developing clear positioning, innovative formats and channels, strategic insights, and superior segmentation to achieve the HR Communications vision.
- Effectively manages client relationships with internal and external partners (Public Affairs, senior HR management, vendors, contractors, etc.).
- Ensures all communications are consistent and aligned with the company’s corporate brand identity and employer brand.
Position Accountability / Scope:
The Associate Director reports to the Director, HR Communications, and must closely influence and respectively challenge senior management and communications peers to ensure clear positioning and messaging that drives employee understanding.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, public relations or other communication-related major.
- 10 years of experience with increasing responsibility in multiple internal and external communication roles in a corporate setting, with focus primarily on internal.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver strategic counsel and advise communication program managers to effectively execute communications plans and messaging.
- Experience advising senior management on effective communications plans along with dynamic public speaking skills.
- Prior experience with communicating HR content strongly preferred, particularly in talent acquisition, benefits, compensation, talent management and employee engagement.
- Requires strong project management skills, exceptional verbal and written communication skills, diplomacy, and multitasking ability.
- Writing test may be required.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.