We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
The Automation Engineer will support the installation, maintenance, monitoring, and upgrade of real-time and historical data acquisition systems. The Automation Engineer will contribute to initiatives directed at systems that are used to control and monitor laboratory, automation and manufacturing systems, as well as, systems to transfer, manage, and analyze data.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Support, monitoring, and configuration of lab/manufacturing/automation systems
• Ensures connectivity and automation of data collection from lab scale equipment and instruments
• Assists users in troubleshooting laboratory, automation and manufacturing control systems related problems
• Solves a range of increasingly complex problems with multiple types of lab systems
• Provides Windows OS environment support, maintenance and patching in a controlled environment
• Supports testing of deliverables and provides data analysis as needed
• Prepares system related procedures and documentation
• Supports and implements data integrity and security initiatives
• Helps coordinate efforts of IT support groups and external vendor resources
• Analyzes and troubleshoots Windows log files and event issues
• Assists with planning of requirements for lab system CAPEX projects
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Engineering or related field from an accredited university
• 3+ years’ experience and/or relevant project/coursework
• Experience supporting and troubleshooting lab/manufacturing/automation systems
• Experience with software/real-time data acquisition in the following fields: SCADA/control systems, laboratory, automation, manufacturing, process controls
• Experience or knowledge of communications protocols such as OPC, Modbus
• Experience supporting lab systems such as Waters Empower, Unicorn, Softmax Pro, and Wonderware SCADA
• Knowledge of Windows OS environment, able to modify network settings, understanding of network domains and remote connections
• Proficient with computer applications and tools such as Microsoft Suite, CMD line, power shell, batch files
• Knowledge/exposure to virtual VMWare environment
• Assignments are broad in nature and require complex problem solving, quantitative and analytical abilities
• Experience in a pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, and consumer products process company or food industry
• Ability to be self-directed to solve problems and works well within teams
• Interest in optimizing data technologies
• Knowledge of data integrity/assurance and data security guidelines
• Skilled in writing SOPs and technical documents
• IT or specialized certifications such as CompTIA Network +, Security +, Server +, or related desirable
• Experience or familiarity with the OSIsoft PI data system desirable
• Experience with some coding in VB, C#, desirable
• Must lead by example through strong work ethics and high standards
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.