At 4D Molecular Therapeutics, Inc. (“4DMT”), we boldly innovate to unlock the full potential of genetic medicines for countless patients. We are committed to breaking boundaries and daring to cure as we develop new and foundational products and product components through our growing technology platforms.
4DMT is a clinical-stage biotherapeutics company harnessing the power of directed evolution for targeted genetic medicines. We seek to unlock the full potential of gene therapy using our platform, Therapeutic Vector Evolution (TVE), which combines the power of directed evolution with our approximately one billion synthetic AAV capsid-derived sequences to invent evolved vectors for use in our products. We believe key features of our targeted and evolved vectors will help us create targeted product candidates with improved therapeutic profiles. These profiles will allow us to treat a broad range of large market diseases, unlike most current genetic medicines that generally focus on rare or small market diseases.
We have built a deep portfolio of AVV-based gene therapy product candidates, with five product candidates in clinical trials: 4D-150 for the treatment of wet age-related macular degeneration (wet AMD) and diabetic macular edema (DME), 4D-710 for the treatment of cystic fibrosis lung disease, 4D-310 for the treatment of Fabry disease cardiomyopathy, 4D-125 for the treatment of X-linked retinitis pigmentosa (XLRP), and 4D-110 for the treatment of choroideremia. In addition, we have two product candidates in preclinical studies: 4D-175 for geographic atrophy (GA) and 4D-725 for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency.
To-date, we have demonstrated clinical proof-of-concept for three evolved vectors in three therapeutic areas and routes of administration with five products and patient populations. We believe this validates the power of our directed evolution platform for discovering superior vectors compared to wildtype viral vectors. We have built a robust and efficient product engine with 6 open Investigational New Drug Applications (INDs) in the U.S., 1 IND in Taiwan, and 1 Clinical Trial Approval (CTA) in Australia. We believe we are positioned to create, develop, manufacture and, if approved, effectively commercialize targeted genetic medicines that could transform the lives of patients suffering from debilitating diseases.
In addition to TVE, our technology includes a robust AAV manufacturing platform and onsite manufacturing facility that allows us to rapidly produce and test research grade material and scale up to GMP clinical material. This internal capability and close collaboration between our R&D and Manufacturing teams has greatly accelerated the pace of discovery at 4DMT.
• Fully integrated clinical-phase company with internal manufacturing
• Demonstrated ability to move rapidly from idea to IND
• Five candidate products in the clinic and two declared pre-clinical programs
• Robust technology and IP foundation, including our TVE and manufacturing platforms
• Initial product safety and efficacy data substantiates the value of our platforms
• Opportunities to expand to other indications and modalities within genetic medicine
As a genetic medicines platform company, 4DMT operates in a crowded and complex competitive environment. Understanding the unmet medical needs in our therapeutic areas of interest and closely tracking competitor advancements is essential to making strategic development and partnership decisions. To support these key activities, the Director reports to the Vice President of Portfolio & Product Strategy, focusing on strategic analyses that support the company’s portfolio planning prioritization and product development. This position interfaces with various members of other teams across the company including Clinical, Clinical Operations, Translational Medicine, Project Management, Discovery and Engineering, Finance.
- Serves as project team leader to steward cross-functional assessment of new indication portfolio opportunities
- Owns commercial inputs for cross-functional assessment for select new indication portfolio opportunities, including forecasting
- Analyze target markets to determine current and future treatment paradigms, competitive landscape, unmet need, product positioning and value proposition
- Own preliminary forecast to quantify market and product opportunities, including sensitivity analyses to validate key value-driven assumptions
- Serves a commercial lead for select pipeline programs
- Provides ongoing analysis of disease / market landscape to support strategic planning and project teams
- Identifies needs and leads external consulting and research projects to further market understanding
- Serves as core team member on cross-functional teams
- Advanced degree with 7+ years (or Bachelor’s with 10+ years) relevant experience in either the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry. In-house experience strongly preferred.
- Experience leading and contributing to commercial indication assessments including forecasting required.
- Experience with vendor selection and management.
- Experience throughout the product lifecycle from early clinical development through launch preferred.
- Experience with gene therapy and/or innovative therapeutic modalities preferred.
- Therapeutic experience in ophthalmology and/or pulmonology nice to have.
- Bay Area candidates strongly preferred. Hybrid work environment with onsite work 2-3 days/week on average.
- Demonstrates strong proactive leadership and cross-functional team-building skills
- Strong scientific acumen and strategic thinking skills
- Comfort with ambiguity and triangulating assumptions with limited data
- Excellent communication skills in both writing and presentations
- Excel-based revenue modelling expertise
- Demonstrated understanding of biotechnology business models and pharmaceutical commercialization practices
- Proactive and flexible with changing work priorities
- Ability to prioritize workstreams in a dynamic work environment
Base salary compensation range:
Bay Area Range
Please note, the base salary compensation range and actual salary offered to the final candidate depends on various factors: candidate’s geographical location, relevant work experience, skills, and years of experience.
4DMT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, status as a covered veteran, and any other category protected under applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities