The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing world class genetics and genomics programs, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials. One of the pillars of the GRC, the Department of Human Genetics, is responsible for analyzing and interpreting data from large genetic sequencing databases to identify and characterize novel targets for the treatment of diseases across multiple therapeutic areas. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist with medical expertise, based in North Chicago, IL within the Human Genetics team.
- Provide expertise and coordinate clinical activities for human genetic databases, and real word data
- Represent the GRC on various clinical teams involved in defining and harmonizing clinical phenotype information captured in external databases.
- Define disease progression and treatment through claims or electronic medical records
- Provide medical expertise for genetic, genomic or epigenetic studies applied to AbbVie clinical trials.
- Collaborate with Medical Directors in Clinical Development to identify relevant questions and design studies related to drug response or disease etiology.
- Collaborate with scientists across different Discovery therapeutic areas to interpret and incorporate genetic findings into new targets or for validation of existing targets.
- Provide support for external collaborations and consortia involving human genetic cohorts
- PhD, PharmD and/or MD with 10+ years experience required.
- Relevant experience in genomics, molecular biology, and Genomic Medicine (rare disease genetics and physiological genomics, systems biology of common complex disease)
- Deep knowledge of translating genomic data into clinically relevant results.
- Experience interpreting clinical data from real world data.
- Experience with large-scale research projects interpreting genetic data (e.g. whole exome and whole genome), array based genotype data in conjunction with clinical, real world and other data
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- A medical degree, with a strong background in genetic association studies, knowledge of how drugs are developed.
- The Candidate should have demonstrated the ability to design and lead human genetics studies delivering novel genetic findings and medically relevant gene discoveries.
- Experience in using Human genetics for target discovery and target validation.
- Experience working with large human genetic sequencing databases coupled to EMR and claims data.
- Experience interpreting family-based and rare disease genetic studies
- Strong oral and written communication skills in a collaborative environment
- Minimal clinical trial or medical affairs experience in the pharmaceutical industry or academia or equivalent. 1-2 years of experience is preferred.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Applicable only to applicants applying to a position in any location with pay disclosure requirements under state or local law:
The compensation range described below is the range of possible base pay compensation that the Company believes in good faith it will pay for this role at the time of this posting based on the job grade for this position. Individual compensation paid within this range will depend on many factors including geographic location, and we may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range. This range may be modified in the future.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive programs.
This job is eligible to participate in our long-term incentive programs.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole and absolute discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole and absolute discretion, consistent with applicable law.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.