AbbVie has a strong leadership position in Dermatology delivering highly effective therapies to patients with psoriasis, atopic dermatitis and hidradenitis suppurativa. The Dermatology Discovery team is focused on delivering the next generation of treatments to patients with the core diseases atopic dermatitis and hidradenitis suppurativa, and adjacent indications Vitiligo and alopecia areata to address key unmet medical needs. The team is seeking an experienced immunologist/ dermatologist with a proven industry track record to lead a team of researchers on the generation of focused robust data packages as programs transition from Lead Optimization through GLP toxicology studies. The research will focus heavily on guiding science and scientists to build strong biologic and pharmacologic datasets to support delivering assets with the greatest probability of success to improve patient outcomes and elevate the current standard of care.
The applicant should have the following qualifications:
· Strong immunology / dermatology background in chronic inflammation and autoimmunity with a deep mechanistic understanding of key disease drivers in inflammatory skin diseases.
· Must have multiple years (>10 years) industry experience and a strong background in both in vitro and in vivo pharmacology including pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics data that will be applied to drug development of assets.
· Proven track record of delivering assets to the clinic as part of a multidisciplinary team.
· Strong publication record and excellent oral /written communication skills and a knowledge of how to present scientific data to the broader R&D organization including non-scientific experts.
· Excellent managerial and people leadership skills to lead a team of both PhD and non-PhD scientists to maximize team’s impact and deliver data package that address key strengths and gaps of the targets in a balanced and effective manner. Track record of developing scientists at all levels to maximize their career potential providing a nurturing learning environment.
· The successful candidate will work in a cross-disciplinary team leading critical path efforts working with project directors, biology leads and functional leads from other areas of the organization (Medicinal Chemistry, Biotherapeutics, Precision Medicine) to deliver data packages including key datasets avoiding generation of non-decision making data.
· Expertise with developing and implementing complex human models in the context of inflammatory skin diseases is a plus.
· Experience setting drug discovery strategy is a plus, with the proven track record to pivot efforts as program biology evolves.
- PhD in Immunology/ dermatology or related field with at least 10 years industry experience
- Recognized multidisciplinary expert, drives functional performance of a team of researchers and collaborates with partners in allied fields to deliver robust data packages supporting discovery research efforts.
- Advances scientific expertise within function beyond direct area of disciplinary expertise. Maximizes impact and value of expertise.
- Proactively advises and shares knowledge and expert opinion with team members, peers and senior management.
- Sources and identifies emerging scientific trends from internal and external sources and addresses relevance. Consistently publishes research findings in peer review papers and at scientific meetings maximizing visibility of the cutting edge studies being performed by team.
- Proven ability to innovate with a history of new and improved research efforts.
- Extensive experience leading research teams composed of both PhD and non-PhD scientists.
- Effectively interacts with diverse groups within function and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.