Principal Scientist, Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Foster City, California, that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. Together, We're Creating What's Possible! For more than 35 years, Gilead has pursued breakthroughs that were once thought to be impossible.
With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV, liver diseases, serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions, cancer and inflammation.
The Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) group at Gilead Sciences is seeking a candidate for the position of Principal Scientist with the primary responsibility of providing expertise in the area of large molecule biodistribution and metabolism. A successful candidate will work closely with our bioanalytical scientists, biologics discovery, toxicology, clinical pharmacology, pharmaceutical sciences, and regulatory teams to optimize leads, to select candidates for clinical evaluation, and contribute to regulatory filings.Specific Responsibilities:
The primary responsibility of this Biologics DMPK Principal Scientist position is to provide expert bioanalytical support towards characterizing biodistribution and disposition of large molecule drug candidates using a combination of in vivo or ex vivo imaging and LC-MS/MS techniques. The Principal Scientist would serve as the organizational expert and would be responsible for developing ADME/biodistribution strategy for large molecules and novel modalities. He/she would also represent DMPK on project teams which includes the responsibility for the design and conduct of experiments to understand and predict the biodistribution and PK/PD behavior of large molecule clinical drug candidates.Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Serve on project teams at various stages of discovery and development as a subject matter expert on the ADME and biodistribution of large molecules.
- Conduct internal/external bioanalytical and/or molecular imaging studies to characterize the biodistribution and metabolism of large molecules.
- Analyze, interpret, summarize, and present PK and ADME data to internal project teams.
- Prepare study protocols and coordinate execution of nonclinical PK or PK/PD studies to answer translational questions in support of project deliverables and first-in-human dose predictions.
- Work closely with project teams, line management and CROs to assure high quality and timely delivery of written reports for regulatory submissions.
- Supervising research/associate scientists may be required.
- Requires a highly motivated individual with a PhD in analytical chemistry, pharmacokinetics, pharmacology/toxicology, immunology, biochemistry, engineering, or related technical field.
- 8+ years of biopharmaceutical research experience in large molecule drug discovery, translational research, bioanalysis, and/or biodistribution discipline.
- Proven track record of developing bioanalytic methods to assess PK, metabolism, and tissue distribution of large molecules using common platforms such as ligand binding assays, mass spectrometry, or other biodistribution methodologies.
- Desired technical skills include, but are not limited to, SPECT-CT or PET imaging, conjugation, high-resolution mass spectrometry, MALDI-TOF, and/or radiochromatography.
- Applicant must demonstrate excellent verbal and technical communication, independent scientific thinking, with the ability to interpret results, determine next steps and present data to project teams and senior management.
- Preference given towards applicants with additional knowledge and/or experience in the application of routine PK and basic compartmental modeling software systems.
The salary range for this position is: $214,795.00 - $277,970.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.