53 - Process Chemistry
Redwood City, CA
$190,000 - $242,000 / year
Codexis, a biotech enzyme engineering company, is looking to hire a Director, Process Chemistry.
Codexis is a leading enzyme engineering company leveraging its proprietary CodeEvolver® technology platform to discover, develop and enhance novel, high-performance enzymes and other classes of proteins. Codexis enzymes solve for real-world challenges associated with small molecule pharmaceuticals manufacturing and nucleic acid synthesis. The Company is currently developing its proprietary ECO Synthesis™ platform to enable the scaled manufacture of RNAi therapeutics through an enzymatic route. Codexis enzymes can drive improvements, such as higher yields, reduced energy usage and waste generation, improve efficiency in manufacturing and greater sensitivity in genomic and diagnostic applications.
To meet the goals we’ve set for ourselves, we look for individuals who are driven, eager to grow and ready to embrace meaningful challenges. We empower employees to be authentic, ambitious, agile and have the courage to take action where they can make a positive impact.
Come join us on this journey to transform the enzyme engineering landscape for the betterment of human health!
About the Opportunity:
This is a strategic leadership role on the Director Process Chemistry team, adding critical experience and CMC expertise in therapeutic oligonucleotide syntheses ensuring lab-developed processes are technically feasible, transferrable, and economically viable at scaled process targets. To achieve these goals, the candidate works cross-functionally with research teams and manufacturing. The successful candidate will play an integral role in both the day to day and long-term strategic success of our Life Sciences business, and in particular the Nucleic Acid Synthesis segment.
This business segment encompasses the engineering, development, commercialization, and manufacture of new enzymes and process technologies for the manufacture of nucleic acid, with a focus on GMP production of therapeutics.If any of the below describes you, we would love to meet you:
- Self-starter with strong leadership experience and a background in (bio)chemistry or (bio)chemical engineering
- CMC experience in therapeutic nucleic acid synthesis and experience in process development and/or scale-up for GMP production of pharmaceuticals
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Thrives in a dynamic and diverse environment, driven to deliver results, while also looking for continuous improvement opportunities
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Working closely with commercial teams to interpret and translate customer and market needs into product development scope and deliverables.
- Leading gap analysis around nucleic acid synthesis programs and develop strategies for mitigating technical and process risks.
- Establishing methods for process control and ensuring products meet quality and consistency requirements.
- Identifying and managing technical project risks, issues, and opportunities to deliver programs on time and in scope.
- Proactively reporting on status and progress to internal stakeholders and external partners.
- Managing and mentoring science & engineering team members.
The essential requirements of the job include:
- PhD and 8+ years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Post-doctorate background in (bio)chemistry or (bio)chemical engineering
- Direct experience with synthesis and regulatory aspects of nucleic acid therapeutic manufacturing/CMC experience in therapeutic nucleic acid synthesis
- Detailed understanding and experience of process development and/or scale-up for GMP production of pharmaceuticals, experience with nucleic acid manufacturing
- Able to envision, extrapolate, and convey the transition of lab-developed processes to manufacturing scales, while being able to anticipate and address obstacles.
- Exceptionally strong collaboration and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Familiarity with stage gated product development processes desirable.
CODEXIS PAY TRANSPARENCY: The anticipated salary range for candidates who will work in Redwood City or San Carlos, California City is $190,000 to $242,000. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and length of experience within the job, type and length of experience within the industry, education, etc. Codexis is a multi-state employer and this salary range may not reflect positions that work in other states.
What can Codexis offer you?
- 100% match on 401k (up to 4%)
- Life insurance 3x your salary
- Company equity program – stock and RSU’s offered for new hires and annually
- Generous PTO
- 15 company paid holidays in addition to PTO
- Fitness reimbursement
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Student loan assistance and student debt program
- Schedule that works for you as we support an onsite, hybrid and remote workforce for certain positions
- Internal mobility
- Volunteer time off
- Health and wellness programs
- Legal and tax support program
About Codexis Inc
Why join Codexis?
At Codexis we offer a very competitive compensation package and beyond excellent benefits! We foster career growth, continued education and upskilling through our mentorship program and learning and development opportunities. You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate about our mission and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Diversity is valued and mutual trust is of paramount importance to the ethos at Codexis. The people, the culture and working with others with a common goal is what makes Codexis a great place to work.
For more information, visit www.codexis.com
NO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.