Senior Director, Government Affairs, Latin America
United States - District of Columbia - WashingtonUnited States - Florida - Miami
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionGilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California. Senior Director, Government Affairs, Latin America The Gilead Global Government Affairs and Policy team aims to act as a critical link, connecting governments with Gilead science and connecting Gilead with policymakers' needs and expectations. We strive to be a thought-leading function, valued for our analysis and insight and capability to inform policy change that enhances patients' access to Gilead's innovation. Our vision of success is to foster an environment where governments value, reward and support access to Gilead's innovation.Summary of the role: Senior Director, Government Affairs - Latin America, will be based in either Washington, DC or Miami, reporting to the Executive Director of the Inter-Continental (ICR) and Global Patient Solutions (GPS) Regions within the International Government Affairs team. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, business-focused, and creative individual who is knowledgeable about the pharmaceutical / health Industry and has a strong background in Latin America government affairs. The successful candidate will be part of the ICR/GPS Government Affairs leadership team and will have the opportunity to shape Gilead's presence in Latin America and the Caribbean.Job Description:The Senior Director's primary responsibility will be to work closely with all parts of the Latin America business to develop relationships with government officials to support commercial and corporate objectives.The Senior Director will help manage the company's government and consultancy relationships in Latin America Markets including three in-country director reports (Brazil, Colombia and Mexico) and will work in close collaboration with Gilead's country teams as well as headquarters teams to enhance local relationships.The Senior Director will build strong cross-functional relationships with Gilead's Value and Access, Medical Affairs, Regulatory, Legal, and Public Affairs teams. Within Government Affairs and Policy, this individual will be responsible for prioritizing regional advocacy needs and identifying resources available across the team that can support Latin America advocacy, coordinating closely with Policy, International Government Affairs, and other sub-teams as needed.Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Build and maintain trust-based relationships with policymakers in priority Latin American governments, leading outreach to national ministries and regional governmental organizations like the Pan American Health Organization. Develop new relationships as needed.
- Partner as appropriate with US Federal Government Affairs to align Gilead's outreach with key US Government Agencies, such as the State Department, the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Global Affairs, the US Department of Commerce, USTR and relevant departments to support regional objectives.
- Collaborate with the Policy team to develop Latin America -relevant policy positions, stakeholder mapping and advocacy action plans.
- Serve on the ICR/GPS Government Affairs Leadership Team and represent Government Affairs and Policy views on the policy environment and potential impact on Gilead's Latin American priorities. Support the Latin America leadership in developing novel approaches to a constantly changing external environment.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Gilead Government Affairs and Policy in the Latin American markets.
- Support country-level advocacy strategies and implementation of Latin America initiatives.
- Coordinate internally with all functions to ensure successful and efficient operations in the Latin America Markets (e.g., Value and Access, Policy, Legal, Medical Affairs, Public Affairs).
- Work closely within Gilead to earn the confidence of senior executives and help them understand the political and business environment in the Latin America region.
- Provide timely updates to internal management on opportunities, challenges, and risks in the Latin America policy and government affairs environment.
- Manage relationships with trade associations and other membership and advocacy groups in the Washington and the Latin America region.
- Supervise direct reports, consultants, or contractors providing local government relations support within Latin America subregions or markets.
- Contribute to a strong Latin America communication plan, leveraging all internal and external communication opportunities, to establish Gilead as an industry leader in driving innovative patient solutions. Guide the creation of presentations and narratives that demonstrate Gilead's unique partnerships and role in the broader healthcare landscape.
- Ensure integrity and uphold Gilead's corporate values and adherence to laws, regulations, and compliance principles in every market.
- Minimum 13-15 years' experience with a successful track record of being a leader in policy setting environments in government, and/or in policy and government relations functions with a corporation, consultancy, trade association or special interest group.
- Master's degree or MBA or equivalent preferred.
- Strong existing relationships with Latin American government officials, policymakers, and agencies at a national and as regional level is essential.
- Significant experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries.
- Knowledge of HIV, HBV, HCV, Liver Disease and Oncology policy environment particularly in Latin American countries is preferred; an understanding of public health/global health policy issues is essential.
- Track record of managing compliant projects in diverse markets.
- Excellent strategic thinker with demonstrated leadership, operational, analytical, negotiation and consensus building skills, and strong executive presence.
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives and to work in (and cultivate) highly collaborative and cross-functional teams (internal and external).
- Track record of being a leader in policy-setting environments such as in-house at a corporation, NGO, trade association or a relevant government agency, with skill managing teams or working groups.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Fluent spoken and written English. Fluency in Spanish and Portuguese is highly desirable.
- Ability to travel extensively (40-50%).
The salary range for this position is: $225,590.00 - $291,940.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.