This position would serve as SD/ED of Corporate Development activities within the company, reporting to the SVP, Corporate Development. In collaboration with executive leadership and other cross-functional business partners, this position is responsible for driving discussions and negotiations with strategic counterparties across a variety of different potential transaction types including, but not limited to, partnerships, alliances, joint ventures, and licensing agreements that fit within the overall corporate strategy, business plan and product portfolio. The role would also play a critical role in supporting the development and assessment of the business case for a variety of different transactions, including supporting analytical needs across various functions within the Corporate Development organization, and playing a role in the development of short and long-range strategic plans for AnaptysBio. The successful candidate would be expected to own and manage relationships with external counsel and would need to interact effectively with senior leadership to facilitate thoughtful review of, and iteration on, legal contracting aspects of potential transactions.
- Run partnering processes, reacting to and handling inbounds, as well as organizing and executing against proactive partnering processes
- Structure and secure strategic partnerships, licensing or collaboration agreements, negotiating key business terms, and driving to contract execution.
- Help drive development, analysis, and recommendation of appropriate structures and economic terms for potential business development initiatives, utilizing valuation modeling to help frame up strategic options and inform negotiating tactics
- Build a strong reputation and working relationship with key stakeholders within the organization to enable solicitation and incorporation of opinions and input from all relevant parties, as well as consensus building around final deal structure and terms
- Work efficiently within the organization to meet deadlines in time-sensitive situations without sacrificing thoroughness and quality
- Where appropriate based on aligned corporate strategy, and in collaboration with executive leadership, support and participate in the screening, identification, analysis, evaluation, and recommendation process of new business opportunities to in-license otherwise acquire assets
- As a key member of the Corporate Development team, collaborate with other Corp Dev subfunctions to support development of the company’s corporate and portfolio strategy
- Provide analytical support, where needed, for other functions within the corporate development organization
- In conjunction with executive leadership, foster relationships with third parties to enhance immediate awareness of market and business opportunities of all types, including serving as the external face of business development for AnaptysBio at partnering conferences and relevant events
Education & Experience:
- 15+ years business development experience in Pharma/Bio industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, law, or life sciences, advanced degree preferred.
- Knowledge of Pharmaceutical product development and relevant scientific technologies, with prior experience in the immunology space preferred.
- Familiarity with collaboration/license contracts and intellectual property.
- Experience running both in- and out-licensing transactions of various structures
- Familiarity with valuation methodology and exceptional skills in valuation modeling in Microsoft Excel
- Outstanding skills in communication, negotiation, strategy, financing, business, economics, leadership, critical thinking, and cross-functional partnering.
- Interact with all levels of the company cross-functionally including the Executive Committee.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Experience working in a deadline-oriented environment with a high attention to quality.
- Exceptional multi-tasker who can set priorities, stay focused and meet key milestones.
- Collaborative team player who can motivate colleagues, lead cross-functional teams and drive toward objectives.
- Travel and conference and meeting attendance may be required.
- PC literacy required; MSOffice skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Knowledge and Competencies:
- Accountable and transparent.
- Team player, with roll up the sleeves attitude, able to rally others around a common vision, persuasive, generates enthusiasm and credibility, and brings out the best in other team members.
- Self-starter with the energy, drive, and determination to accomplish goals.
- Strategic thinker who can generate ideas and opportunities and turn them into successful results.
- Results-oriented and conveys a sense of urgency and drive for closure, prioritizes multiple, competing tasks and demands, and recognizes and executes critical details.
- Creative and critical intellect with “what if” openness to new ideas, flexible about implementation, inflexible about the quality and timeliness of results.
- Unwavering dedication to integrity and honesty, informal, direct personal style and flexible approach to problem solving.
- Effective interpersonal skills (one-on-one and in groups), persuasive, enthusiastic, credible and committed, genuine and empathetic.
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to adjust style as circumstances warrant and present with ease to a spectrum of audiences.
- Strong analytical capabilities with the ability to define problems, collect, distill and interpret data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and identify preferred solutions.
- Challenges existing practices, decisions and processes in a manner that generates constructive discussions about change, knows when to move from discussion to selection and implementation practices, processes and decisions that meet organizational needs.
- Detail and big-picture oriented, and facile with being able to scope between the two.
- Knowledgeable of the process of due diligence, asset valuation, alliance integration and portfolio management with a combined scientific and business acumen.
- Demonstrated skill in corporate branding and positioning for business development purposes.
- Knowledgeable of the therapeutic antibody field.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus in order to read.
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, typically in an open office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
May be required to travel by plane or car.
This position requires working with biological and/or chemical hazards.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.
$196k-$252k, 25% bonus,10% 401k, Stock Options&RSU