Senior High Performance Computing Engineer Research
United States - North Carolina - Raleigh
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionAbout Gilead:
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to pursuing scientific invention to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis and cancer. Gilead has operations in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.
You will be part of a team that is helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. We are a close community where every individual matters and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Inclusion is one of our core values, which means we are creating and fostering a work environment where our differences are valued, and everyone feels respected and empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to discover, develop and deliver innovative therapeutics for people with life-threatening diseases.
The Gilead Business Services center in Raleigh is home to some of the company's critical shared service teams in North America, including Information Technology, Global Financial Solutions, HR Operations and Procurement Services Desk. These functions provide the necessary support to ensure Gilead's business runs effectively and efficiently. The center will also be a catalyst for standardization of processes, digital transformation and technology optimization. Job Summary:
The Senior High Performance Computing Engineer - Research
will be responsible for leading enterprise data and analytics initiatives support the diverse disciplines in Research. The successful individual will be responsible for maturing and extending analytical solutions, software maintenance and distribution solutions and hybrid high performance computing platforms and associated systems supporting the research organization hosted on AWS Cloud. By combining a strong technical background with a solid understanding of domain knowledge in Biopharma research. The individual will work with the broader enterprise cloud team and domain experts in Research to enhance, deliver, and oversee the operation of data and analytics platforms & solutions on our AWS cloud platform. You will be responsible for the effective utilization of these platforms and the overall user experience for both the platforms and their effective integration.Functional Job Responsibilities:
- As an Enterprise Data and Analytics team member, you will be partnering with the Data & Analytics platform team and computational scientists in Research to enhance and oversee the operation of platforms supporting the research strategy.
- Translate business requirements to functional requirements and communicate them to technical teams.
- Act as a business engagement lead and work with stakeholders to develop business case for enhancements or new initiatives.
- Serve as project lead and system manager, create, update, review system related documents including operational procedures and user guides in the primary research areas.
- Accountable for the operation and maintenance of the multi-cluster hybrid HPC systems and the associated infrastructure.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of our data and analytics software and data management platforms for research.
- Responsible for the effective use and integration of shared data and analytics IDEs for the hybrid HPC systems.
- Understands the end-to-end technical architecture for the solution being developed. Acts as a point of escalation and resolution.
- Serve as an advocate, endorsing and enforcing technological best practices in collaboration with solution architects.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and advancements in relevant technologies.
- Bachelor's Degree and 10 years' experience OR Master's Degree and 8 years' experience
- Experience in supporting and operating key data and analytics platforms such as the Posit suite and associated languages (python, R)
- Experience with installing and managing cluster/HPC UI's such as Open-on-Demand and the associated enabling technologies.
- Certified in technologies supporting AWS Cloud DevOps with the ability to learn and apply new and emerging concepts very quickly.
- Experienced in managing a variety of RHEL based Linux operating systems with enterprise authentication, AD bridge (PBIS) preferred.
- Experienced with the creation and maintenance of complex scientific applications using Apptainer (Singularity)
- Demonstrated proficiency with one or more system configuration management technologies such as Terraform, Puppet, Ansible.
- Experience with large scale software management tools such as spack and/or environment modules, GitHub as well as compilers and HPC libraries
- Experience with implementing and managing an HPC workload manager preferably SLURM and Munge
- Strategic thinker who can weigh and decide between implementing new functionality by configuration vs assessment of new technology.
- Ability to translate complex technical issues into business terms and excellent analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Laser-focused and strong delivery experience managing large, complex activities.
- Experience leading consultants for delivery and sustainment and ensuring the quality of operations and deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and business partnering skills.
- Good Listener: be able to patiently listen to understand the business needs.
- Track record working in a fast-paced, highly iterative environment.
The salary range for this position is: $146,200.00 - $189,200.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.