About the Department
The Strategy & Rare Disease (STARS) organization drives the long-term strategic direction of Novo Nordisk Inc. (NNI)/North America Operations (NAO) and leads all US commercial efforts for Novo Nordisk’s Rare Disease portfolio. The mandate of STARS is to facilitate the development and to coordinate the execution of the long-term strategy, defining a sustainable business model in US beyond a 5-year time horizon. This department serves as the insiders of the US market when informing and help shaping upstream decisions around future investments and assets. The Rare Disease portfolio includes products in the hemophilia and growth disorders therapeutic areas, new products in the pipeline, and products acquired through business development efforts in existing and new areas. The STARS team collaborates and partners with groups across NAO, Research & Early Development, Development, innovation hubs across NN, other affiliates, and global. We’re looking for individuals who are enterprise thinkers, inclusive leaders, and strong collaborators, as we embark on shaping our future.
Represents Novo Nordisk, Inc. (NNI) to targeted accounts and academic and community thought-leaders in an assigned territory with the goal of finding treaters of ultra-rare disease, enabling diagnosis and disease awareness for all types of healthcare practitioners, establishing the value proposition of rare renal drug in a compliant manner, maximizing sales and establishing NNI as a leader in the rare renal marketplace. The Sales Representative must assume responsibility for achieving sales objectives by implementing approved marketing and sales strategies aimed at effectively selling and promoting NNI’s products to key physicians, nurses, and other health care personnel and organizations, who make or are involved in purchasing and prescribing decisions. Requires the development of strategically targeted, account-specific business plans that reflect an in-depth understanding of local, regional and national market forces that impact product sales.
Externally, the Sales Representative for Rare Renal Therapy Specialist is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with physicians, nurses, and other health care personnel as relevant for the commercialization of rare renal medications in Novo Nordisk.
The role reports to the Regional Business Director for Rare Renal and interacts internally with other representatives, medical liaisons, and other NNI departments.
Efficiently Manage Time and Prioritize Tasks and Available Resources to Accomplish Optimum Territory Sales with Limited SupervisionAdhere to minimum normal working hours in the designated territoryBe comfortable with large territories and optimize customer visits to be efficientAttend and participate in sales meetings, training programs, conventions and displays as directed by management, which may require work/travel on weekends in addition to normal work hoursProvide input into the design and content of regional meetings/conventions; make presentations as necessaryDevelop and implement strategically targeted, account-specific business plans that reflect an in-depth understanding of local, regional, and national market forces that impact product salesEffectively manage and prioritize time to ensure maximum customer base penetration and sales volumeEvaluate, identify, and prioritize calls and routes that maximize the opportunity to call on targeted customersExercise careful control over company property consistent with NNI policies and procedures, as well as the Company’s legal obligationsManage discretionary budget while adhering to company guidelines for maximum sales impactWork independently and creatively, take initiative, and run the business with limited supervision
- Actively Contribute to the Company Overall Sales Goals:
- Communicate territory activity by submitting relevant reports in a timely fashion
- Participate in and contribute to marketing and sales meetings, training programs, displays, and conventions as appropriate
- Partner with the NNI Sales/Marketing Departments to acquire relevant materials to detail with and distribute approved sales materials and product information for maximum effect
- Recommend solutions for sales and marketing based on evaluation and comprehension of data, dynamics, trends, customer needs, and competitor's products or services
- Record notes of calls, including key issues and concerns addressed, sales aids used, and any other information that will be useful for future sales calls
Seek Out, Develop, Expand, and Leverage Relationships with Individuals Who Make or Influence Purchasing/Prescribing Decisions:Effectively and efficiently call on key opinion leaders and develop early adoptersLeverage understanding of impact of managed care in the territory and how it affects prescribing decisions. Finetune marketing and sales strategies appropriatelyUse personalized communication techniques to build, maintain, and strengthen effective business relationships with physicians and other key decision-makers
- Mastery Of Product Knowledge and Consultative Sales and Promotion Techniques:
- Anticipate potential trends and changes in market conditions to identify broader areas of opportunity for the Company
- Participate in company-sponsored and/or company-approved training programs to continuously improve sales and promotional skills, knowledge of currently promoted products relevant to Rare Renal, and competitive products
- Understand the most recent approved clinical studies to educate customers as well as anticipate and (where appropriate) address customers' questions, concerns, and objections
- Sell and Promote NNI’s Rare Renal Assets/Portfolio with a Focus on Customers Who Make or Are Involved in Purchasing and Prescribing Decisions:
- Achieve or exceed assigned sales objectives through effective utilization of all available approved resources, strategies and tactics
- Assess each customer's needs and increase sales by effective execution and implementation of the approved brand and sales strategy for each customer
- Coordinate and implement educational activities, programs, and special projects to achieve maximum marketing impact
- Examine and respond appropriately to the customer environment
- Determine and deliver appropriate on-label messages to achieve maximum results for each sales call
- Market and educate about the key features of NNIs rare renal products
- Obtain maximum commitment from customers on every call
- Probe for, anticipate and respond to (where appropriate) customers' questions, objections, problems, and concerns
- Use all available approved resources to their fullest effect to appropriately promote and sell our Rare Renal products and services
- Evaluate each particular situation and select the appropriate approved resources for maximum impact
50-75% overnight travel required. Driver must maintain a valid driver’s license. Must be in good standing by not exceeding the Novo Nordisk points threshold assigned based on review of Motor Vehicle Records.
The territory coverage area for this role is all of New York City.
- A Bachelors Degree required
- A minimum of five (5) years of pharmaceutical/healthcare sales experience required from either Hospital, Academic, Community and/or Institutional sales settings
- Knowledge of the renal market preferred
- Relevant experience from launching and selling pharmaceutical assets in the ultra-rare disease space is preferred, ideally within Rare Renal and Urology
- An aptitude for learning and communicating technical and scientific product and disease management information required
- Exhibits strong selling skills - understands customer needs and positions Novo Nordisk products & services appropriately
- Decision-making ability and leadership skills are required
- Intermediate computer skills required (Windows, Word, Excel)
- Must be a self-starter and be able to evaluate options, make decisions, and operate business activities with minimal supervision
- Prior computer experience using sales data/call reporting software preferred
The base compensation range for this position is $98,820 to $172,940. Base compensation is determined based on a number of factors. In addition, this position is part of the sales incentive compensation program. The role may also be eligible for a long-term incentive bonus depending on level and other Company factors. The position is eligible for a company car through the Company’s FLEET program.
Employees are also eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs including medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; disability insurance; 401(k) savings plan; flexible spending accounts; employee assistance program; tuition reimbursement program; and voluntary benefits such as group legal, critical illness, identity theft protection, pet insurance and auto/home insurance. The Company also offers time off pursuant to its uncapped sick time policy, flex-able vacation policy, and parental leave policy.
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.