HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of.
Scientific Associate Director - Computational ChemistryLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. Amgen is seeking an experienced and accomplished computational chemist to join our drug discovery efforts in the Computational Chemistry group, which is part of the broader Computational and Data Sciences team at Amgen Research. This position is a senior scientific role with significant leadership responsibilities and opportunities.
In this vital role, you will:
- Participate on multiple interdisciplinary discovery project teams and play a key role in defining project strategies and achieving project milestone transitions
- Apply structure-based, ligand-based and machine learning/generative design to advance drug discovery projects (both small molecule and targeted protein degradation projects)
- Analyze potential drug targets to assess their druggability and help identify best modality and contribute to develop the screening strategy (including virtual screening)
- Support the biocatalysis group with Process Development to design and optimize new biocatalytic proteins
- Take an active leadership role in guiding new Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence technology developments
- Take an active leadership role in guiding new protein degradation workflows working closely with Induced Proximity Platform colleagues
- Contribute to guide infrastructure improvements, software portfolio recommendations and prospecting of relevant cutting-edge computational technologies/companies
- Directly supervise and lead junior computational chemists
The preferred location for this position is at our Thousand Oaks (CA) site; but consideration will be given to remote candidates as wellWin
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek is a leader with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications:
Ph.D. degree and 4 years of experience in computational chemistry
Masters degree and 7 years of experience in computational chemistry
Bachelors degree and 9 years of experience in computational chemistryPreferred Qualifications:
- PhD. in Computational Chemistry or related field
- Proven accomplishments supporting drug design projects with 5+ years of relevant experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Expert in the field of computational chemistry in an industry setting and good knowledge of related and adjacent disciplinary areas
- Thorough understanding of the drug discovery process from lead screening to late-stage optimization and know how to maximize the impact of computational modeling
- Good external publication record, excellent communication and organizational skills and demonstrated ability as a team leader
- Experience leading cross-functional therapeutic project teams is desirable
- Experience managing people is desirable
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
The annual base salary range for this opportunity in the U.S. is $159,706 - $204,583.
In addition to the base salary, Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.careers.amgen.com
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancers, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.