- Responsibilities of this engineering grade level inherently include and expand upon the responsibilities established for lower engineering grade levels.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable policies and procedures. Ensures quality and effectiveness of key results of major projects within function through sound design, early risk assessments, and implementation of fallback strategies.
- Has full awareness of the potential consequences (defects and failure modes) of design changes to established processes. Mitigates risk within functions through sound design, early risk assessments and implementation of fallback strategies.
- Develops, plans, coordinates and directs engineering aspects of projects of major scope and importance. Manages multiple, often concurrent projects and meets expectations. Understands the business needs and has a thorough knowledge of the customer when developing a project scope.
- Incorporates business foresight of emerging technological trends. Leads development of Project Charter and documents the initial requirements that satisfy the stakeholders needs and expectations. Establishes engineering project objectives and technical criteria for evaluating project results and activities of the project team.
- Uses established PM tools and techniques (FEP, Cash Flow Projections, Scope / Schedule Control, etc.) to stay within authorized budget limits and achieve the overall project and organizational objectives. Contributes to the development of project management best practices. Directs and manages Project Execution by performing the work defined in the project plan to achieve project objectives.
- Defines roles and responsibilities. Monitors and controls project work to meet the performance objectives defined in the project plan. Focuses on cost and milestone achievement to optimize resource utilization. Reviews change requests, manages and approves changes to the deliverables, organizational process assets, project documents, and the project plan.
- Closes the project by finalizing all activities across all the Project Management Process Groups to formally complete the project or phase. Directs others in the execution of: the design of products / processes / equipment / systems / facilities by applying engineering methods, concepts and techniques. Ensures the project design complies with all engineering standards, project objectives and customer needs. Conceptualizes complete solutions.
- Creates or coordinates the solutions for complex problems; integrates regulatory and operational needs; performs cost / benefit analysis. Explores multiple alternatives. Seeks input from cross functional teams in resolving major project hurdles. Resolves problems and crisis situations requiring fast, astute decisions with rapid implementation by utilizing technical training and /or e experience.
- Mentors others by sharing knowledge and expertise and providing feedback and guidance. Establishes relationships and good communication channels with customers; documents agreements and commitments. Acts as a trusted advisor. Balances bottom line objectives of a project with the long-term interest of customer.
- A Bachelors Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence, with a desired 8+ years of significant engineering and/or operational experience. A post-graduate education / degree is desired, and may contribute towards the desired years of experience.
- Has a career history marked by a consistent series of technical contributions and accomplishments. Significant contribution to product or process development or improvement through creative application of technical effort will equally be recognized.
- Possesses a strong technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures. Works on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data involves multiple competing factors. Exercises judgment and advises management as to the appropriate actions.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Listens to and understands others' points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- Has a technical background in health care, medical devices, pharmaceutical, biologics, or similar industries (preferred).
- Has demonstrated competency with financial systems and in fiscal control.
- Formal Project Management training (preferred)
Applicable only to applicants applying to a position in any location with pay disclosure requirements under state or local law:
The compensation range described below is the range of possible base pay compensation that the Company believes in good faith it will pay for this role at the time of this posting based on the job grade for this position. Individual compensation paid within this range will depend on many factors including geographic location, and we may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range. This range may be modified in the future.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive programs.
This job is eligible to participate in our long-term incentive programs.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole and absolute discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole and absolute discretion, consistent with applicable law.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.