AbbVie is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company that combines the focus and passion of leading-edge biotech with the expertise and results of a long-established pharmaceutical leader. Redefining what is possible is our business, and our passion, we aim to help patients live healthier lives. Through new technologies and medicines, we harness breakthroughs and improve healthcare on a global basis.
We have an immediate opening for a full-time Patent Data Scientist based at our Headquarters in North Chicago, Illinois to support the Patent and Trademark Department. The primary responsibilities for this full-time position include providing search and analysis of patents, scientific literature, and business information related to biotechnology, aesthetics, and pharmaceuticals. The Patent Data Scientist will work closely with in-house counsel to support patent prosecution, litigation due diligence analysis to support business initiatives and participate in information searching activities on business and scientific research teams closely aligned with the strategic needs of the Legal Department.
We operate in a hybrid model (3+ days onsite/week) and will prioritize talent that is available to be based in North Chicago, although remote may be considered.
- A master’s degree in chemistry or a chemistry-related field plus 5 years relevant job experience.
- The ability to carry out searches for small chemical entities would be considered an advantage.
- Experience with chemical drawing tools, such as ChemDraw and/or CAS Draw.
- Familiarity with searching biomedical, clinical, and business based databases such as PubMed.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with clients to develop the appropriate keyword-based and/or chemical structure-based search strategies for various databases to meet the clients’ requests.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously while maintaining high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Passion for problem solving and developing creative solutions.
- Must be Self-motivated to acquire new skills and expertise.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to complete projects against deadlines.
- Ph. D in chemistry or chemistry-related field.
- Experience with searching for patent information, especially in the small molecule pharmaceutical field.
- Experience with Orbit, PatBase, STN or Dialog
- Ability to conduct searches within the business literature, including searching biopharmaceutical business news databases, market research reports, and other business databases.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.