At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Are you looking to make a significant difference for patients with an autoimmune disease? At Lilly, we are dedicated to developing tools to identify distinct patient populations with a better chance of responding to new therapies. Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune disease that is very heterogeneous, suggesting that there are distinct biologically-defined subtypes of SLE patients. This has been shown by multiple groups (including Lilly) using gene expression data. Lilly has run multiple phase 3 SLE trials and from over 1,000 patients and has recently generated comprehensive data sets with not only gene expression but also EM-seq methylation and proteomics. We would like to integrate these data to develop a diagnostic approach for SLE patients to enable a precision medicine approach in SLE.
We are seeking an ambitious post-doctoral scientist with strong research and communication skills to contribute to highly visible research projects. Your work will contribute to the development of a signature for a publicly available diagnostic approach to identify sub-types of SLE patients. This approach may be used for patient identification and selection into clinical trials to develop novel drugs to treat specific sub-types of SLE patients. In this role, you will:
- Identify sub-types of lupus patients for patient tailoring
- Use best practices to robustly cluster patients to identify sub-types from each modality independently and in combination: gene expression, EM-seq methylation, and proteomics, linking this to clinical profiles and responses.
- Identify most robust subtypes and work with immunologists and clinicians to characterize biology
- Reduce the number of markers to facilitate diagnostic tool development
- Work with Lilly's Clinical Diagnostics Laboratory to transfer identified signatures for assay development
- Establish these subtypes in the field by publishing at conferences and in high quality peer-reviewed journals
- Collaborate with informaticians, statisticians, immunologists, and clinicians to increase the knowledge around SLE and other autoimmune diseases.
If this matches your experience and abilities, apply today to join the Lilly team!Basic Qualifications
- PhD in bioinformatics or related field (or put specific degree required)
- Biological or medical background
If you are described with these skills, you could be a great fit for the role:
About Eli Lilly’s Postdoctoral Scientist Program
- Experience in immunology or SLE
- Experience working on the amazon cloud a plus. Calculations will be done in an R environment.
- Experience developing and validating predictive clustering models and machine learning approaches
- Experience integrating data from different modalities and with large datasets
- Self-directed and highly motivated individual who wants to learn new techniques while continually pursuing research and publication goals
- Excellent communicator (oral and written) with presentation experience, along with a strong publication record
- Proficient in data analysis and reporting
- Experienced with gene expression (array and RNA-seq), methylation, and protein data
- Pathway analysis including single subject pathway analysis
- Experience with diagnostics or clinical measurements
- Experience with patient similarity networks /data fusion techniques such as SNF, Diablo, MFA, etc
Over the course of our history, we have shed light on some of the toughest health care problems known to man – diabetes, heart disease, infectious diseases, neuroscience disorders, cancer and more. We could not pursue this without our research and development team.
Postdoctoral scientists help us continue this pursuit. During your experience you will gain:
- Top industry research experience
- Mentoring by some of Lilly’s top scientists
- Laboratory and classroom training and education to further your development
- Collaboration and networking across dozens of postdoctoral scientists and other researchers
This position is not permanent. It is for a fixed duration of two years with potential to extend to 3 years and for maximum of up to 4 years. You will have opportunities to apply for full time positions after your duration is complete.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. Our current groups include: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network, African American Network, Chinese Culture Network, Early Career Professionals, Japanese International Leadership Network (JILN), Lilly India Network, Organization of Latinos at Lilly, PRIDE (LGBTQ + Allies), Veterans Leadership Network, Women’s Network, Working and Living with Disabilities. Learn more about all of our groups.