Under minimal supervision from Vivarium Operations Management (VOM) or, in conjunction with site Lead, assist in maintaining the daily operations of the Vivarium and performing animal care procedures for an interim period of time. Able to mentor and provide minimal guidance to Jr. technicians while demonstrating exemplary competencies and behaviors. The Floater ACT provides relief ACT husbandry and various duties related to the care of research animals to any vivarium on campus in need of staffing. Is capable of moving to, and working within, all facilities on campus and able to perform Sr. level tasks while doing so. Responsible for guiding technicians. Leads by example through consistent demonstration of exemplary competencies and behaviors. Knows when to reach out to site Management for assistance or guidance.
The position is considered essential and requires weekend, holiday, and off-hour coverage as needed.
Essential Functions-Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs basic care of research animals, including but not limited to,
- Husbandry duties, including up to 250 cage changes per day
- Observe and report animal health and behavior using the Velociview database
- Monthly sanitization of rooms and associated equipment within the Vivarium
- Maintains accurate inventories and records of animals, supplies, and equipment. Responsible for communicating supply needs. Provides records as necessary to Vivarium Management.
- Keep assigned work areas stocked with supplies
- Performs preventive maintenance of animal facility equipment and supplies
- Reports atypical findings of the environment or physical plant to the VOM
- Receives and houses animal orders and transfers
- Demonstrate the ability to work in more than one area of vivarium operations
- Responsible for communicating supply needs
- Provides records as necessary to the VOM
- Assists with managerial checks of animal rooms in the absence of regular Sr. or Lead ACT.
- Assists with inspection of animal facilities for necessary maintenance and repairs and reports findings to the VOM
- May perform simple maintenance and equipment repairs
- Provides guidance to junior ACTs
- Able to provides basic level husbandry training/guidance to Animal Care Technicians. Or, able to reach out to site Management for guidance when necessary. May assist in training new hires regarding facility procedures and practices. Assists Vet Services, as needed. Able to work with semi-rigid isolators and/or other specialized facility equipment.
- Assists Vet Services, as needed
- Assists staff with completion of tasks
- May be responsible for communicating directly with investigators both verbally and in writing. And/or ability to redirect investigator requests to Management so that needs can still be met.
Nature and Scope:
- The ACT Floater will be required to safely and knowledgably function in all vivarium spaces on a flexible, as needed basis and often time with little to no advanced notice. The Floater ACT will be expected to have direct knowledge of the Vivarium Operations Traffic Pattern, strictly adhere to the traffic pattern and be able to apply forward planning in order to meet pre-planned assignment obligations.
- Work is performed under minimal supervision. Takes initiative where necessary to implement new priorities as they may arise.
- Follows established policies and procedures to perform routine activities.
- Provides direction to technicians based on established policies and procedures and under site Management direction.
- Responsible for keeping management up-to-date on progress of assigned tasks/projects that may need to be reassigned following the end of floater's vivarium rotation.
- Required to complete all trainings in assigned vivarium in order to provide the appropriate coverage needed.
- Follows established policies and procedures, receiving detailed instructions in order to complete task and routine activities.
- Provide guidance to technicians regarding general procedures and practices.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Applies technical knowledge to perform the routine care and maintenance of research animals.
- Knowledge of applicable regulations regarding proper standards of animal care and use in a research environment required.
- General understanding of "The Guide".
- Excellent communication (Verbal and Written) skills required.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
- Ability to safely use cleaning and disinfectant equipment and supplies.
Education & Experience:
- HS Diploma or equivalent
- 5-7 years of experience working in Regeneron Vivariums and Purina
- years of related experience and ALAT
- 2-4 years of related experience, and LAT/LATG
- Basic computer skills e.g., familiar with MS Office, and other related software are preferred
- Drive for Results
- Dealing with ambiguity
Conditions of Employment:
- Successful candidate must submit to post-offer, pre-employment physical examination and medical history check.
- Employees who provide services or work at New York Medical College (NYMC) are required to be in compliance with the NYMC COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate.
Does this sound like you? Apply now to take your first steps toward living the Regeneron Way! We have an inclusive and diverse culture that provides comprehensive benefits including health and wellness programs, fitness centers and equity awards, annual bonuses, and paid time off for eligible employees at all levels!Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or belief (or lack thereof), sex, nationality, national or ethnic origin, civil status, age, citizenship status, membership of the Traveler community, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, familial status, marital or registered civil partnership status, pregnancy or parental status, gender identity, gender reassignment, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process. Please contact us to discuss any accommodations you think you may need.The salary ranges provided are shown in accordance with U.S. law and apply to U.S. based positions, where the hired candidate will be located in the U.S. If you are outside the U.S, please speak with your recruiter about salaries and benefits in your location.
Salary Range (hourly)
$24.79 - $38.77