We're seeking a strategic thinker who can actively lead litigation matters across a broad array of disciplines, including antitrust, contract, employment, internal and external investigation, product liability, securities, and shareholder matters. As part of a tight-knit team, you will set the strategy and drive the results. A successful litigator in this role will apply principled legal analysis with a blend of common sense, sound judgment, and creativity. You will join a highly respected legal department at a leading biopharmaceutical company dedicated to solving serious health issues and having a remarkable impact on patient’s lives.
This position is a hybrid role (3+ days onsite per week) based in our North Chicago, IL or Madison, NJ office locations.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Develop successful litigation strategies, and supervise and direct outside counsel in executing them.
- Identify, cultivate relationships with, and give opportunities to, outstanding under-represented litigation attorneys at law firms to increase the diversity of our outside counsel representation.
- Have the courage to form and defend a point of view on sensitive, high-profile issues, balanced with the humility to accept and incorporate other perspectives.
- Blend rigorous legal assessment with creative problem solving.
- Be self-motivated and intellectually curious.
- Counsel internal clients in all areas of the business and at all levels of management on legal issues.
- Interact externally with customers, suppliers, partners, competitors, courts, and government agencies.
- Develop reasonable, reliable budgets and manage the staffing and efficiency of outside counsel and other service providers to deliver strong results within those budgets.
- Law degree from an ABA accredited law school and in good standing with the state bar of the jurisdiction in which your office will be located (or ability to gain licensure in the state in which your office will be located)
- 7+ years of high-level litigation experience at law firms and/or in-house.
- Significant experience in any particular subject matter (e.g., antitrust or product liability) is not required. Variety of commercial litigation and investigations experience preferred.
- Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology or other life science experience strongly preferred.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.