Within AbbVie’s Comparative Medicine function, executes and provides clinical oversight including diagnosis and treatment for disease processes in research animals under area of responsibility. Also provides surgical support to needed areas of research in both small and large animals.
The Research Veterinarian will also collaborate with researchers to provide professional and scientific consultation for selection and development of unique animal models systems for research, testing and production operations in animal facilities. In alignment with AbbVie’s commitment to 3 R's (Replacement, Refinement and Reduction), incorporate the 3 R’s in daily decision-making, conduct of research-oriented activities, and guidance to research staff. This position will contribute to the operational strategies of Comparative Medicine and will be expected to provide leadership to the animal care staff under their responsibility in the daily operations of animal husbandry, facility supervision and veterinary care.
- Provide clinical care to research animals under area of responsibility as well as surgical support across areas of priority.
- Supports facility operations including oversight for animal husbandry, leadership to animal care staff, and supervision for daily operations.
- Consults with research scientists, serving as a functional resource to IACUC.
- Monitors vendors to assure the adequacy of the health of all animals received within the facilities of the department.
- Actively contribute to the development of the staff, encouraging innovation and driving for results.
- Effectively identify concerns which might endanger the well-being or health of the research animals. Recommend corrective actions to management, and assume the primary responsibility for implementing necessary corrective actions defined by management.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from an AVMA accredited or equivalent institution.
- ACLAM board-certified with 3 years lab animal experience or DVM-PhD with at least 2-4 years lab animal experience
- Must demonstrate a good knowledge and experience in laboratory animal medicine.
- History of problem-solving skills involving clinical, minor surgical, and research associated issues.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.