Life Edit is seeking a Manager of Environment, Health and Safety to develop, implement and lead world-class EHS programs at our facility in Durham, NC. This role will work closely with the R&D and Operations teams to instill a belief that all safety incidents are preventable and to build an interdependent safety culture that focuses on people’s behaviors, leadership by all, open reporting, accountability, and helping others.
Here’s What You’ll Do:
- Develop, write, and maintain EHS standards, policies, systems, and programs applicable to R&D laboratories.
- Provide technical review of lab operations aimed to prevent safety incidents and protect company assets.
- Enhance current EHS incident reporting process to include formal investigations, recommend corrective and preventative actions, and increase focus on near-miss and unsafe behavior corrections.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance in risk-related matters, including ergonomics, industrial hygiene, safety, environmental, incident investigation, business continuity and occupational health processes.
- Drive EHS programs with the goal of ISO45001 and ISO14001 certification.
- Accountable for new employee safety training and lab safety training programs.
- Establish, track, and report EHS KPIs.
- Accountable for EHS Compliance related to process safety, environmental permitting, employee exposure protection, OSHA reporting, and waste management.
- Hire, manage and coach EHS employees and consultants.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree (EHS related, Engineering) with a minimum of 5 years of EHS related experience.
- EHS related experience in R&D laboratory environments is required.
- Experience in developing and implementing EHS policies, conducting incident investigations, interacting with regulatory agencies, and managing cross functional teams.
- Must be self-directed, and able to work productively on multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Must have sound judgment, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and not be afraid of rolling up the sleeves to deliver practical solutions.
- Experience with behavior based EHS programs preferred.
- EHS or Engineering professional certification is highly preferred. (CSP, CIH, CHMM, etc.)
- Ability to implement change, motivate teams, and influence cultural change.
- Ability to successfully manage teams and programs.
- Ability to develop strategy, prioritize tasks, and track progress against goals.
Why join Life Edit and the ElevateBio ecosystem?
Life Edit Therapeutics is an integrated subsidiary of ElevateBio, a technology-driven cell and gene therapy company that is accelerating access to the cutting-edge technologies and expertise that can change the future of medicine. Our integrated model combines multiple R&D technology platforms – including Life Edit gene editing – and cGMP manufacturing to power the discovery and development of advanced therapeutics.Our ecosystem is designed to enhance speed, delivery, and probability of success to change patient lives.
Life Edit is an integral part of ElevateBio’s ecosystem of platform technologies and is pioneering focused next-generation gene editing technologies and therapeutics. Located in Durham, NC, members of Life Edit work closely with the ElevateBio Research and Development and BaseCamp manufacturing teams in Waltham, MA. Life Edit is advancing therapeutic programs in collaboration with industry partners while building its own internal pipeline of gene editing therapies. We are looking for a unique individual who can continue to lead the cultural development of Life Edit and build on its momentum as an integral part of the ElevateBio ecosystem.
To power the creation of life-transforming cell and gene therapies, at a speed the world deserves.
We seek to be the world’s most indispensable cell and gene therapy technology company, redefining how companies operate, how products are created and how disease is treated.
ElevateBio is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. ElevateBio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.