We are looking for an experienced scientist with a strong background in protein engineering to help expand our therapeutic capabilities and continue to improve our technology discovery platform. We are seeking curious, enthusiastic, competent, and self-motivated individuals to work in our company. This is an exciting opportunity to help build a successful therapeutics company from an early stage.
Here’s What You’ll Do:
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot experiments to develop and improve genome editing technology.
- Implement high throughput engineering, directed evolution, and screening assays to discover variants of gene editing systems with improved characteristics.
- Work on a multidisciplinary team using knowledge and experience in protein engineering to advance therapeutic programs.
- Analyze experimental data and present scientific results at team research meetings.
- Contribute to publications and patent applications.
- Follow advancements in the field of gene editing and gene therapy published in the literature and presented at conferences.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biology, Biophysics, Chemistry or a related field, with title dependent on experience level. Post-graduate experience (post-doc, industry) is preferred.
- Hands-on experience in conducting directed evolution campaigns.
- Experience with molecular biology (PCR, cloning, library generation), specifically library generation
- Demonstrated ability to develop screening or selection assays in cells (bacterial and/or mammalian) or cell free
- Experience with high throughput screening and selection methods such as FACS and/or display technologies
- Research experience with genome editing technologies, nucleases, and/or DNA modified or DNA binding proteins is strongly preferred
- Scientific background in biochemistry, strong understanding of protein structure and function.
- Demonstrated ability to develop assays to demonstrate protein (preferably enzyme) activity
- Relevant technical skills for data analysis, DNA and protein sequence analysis, ELN documentation, and presenting results
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a team-oriented environment
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Preferred experience with and conceptual understanding of NGS techniques
We’re committed to finding the best ways to support our teams so they can do their best work. We take care of our employees, right from the start.
Health & Wellness
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance covered at 90%
- Low deductible, no co-insurance and no copays for mental health visits (for in-network care)
- Annual fitness reimbursement
- Employer paid for access to wellness apps and programs like Task Human
- Competitive compensation
- 401(k) retirement plans with a 4% employer match and no vesting period
- Employer-paid life insurance and short- and long-term disability insurance
- Employer-sponsored flexible spending accounts (FSA) and dependent care account (DCA)
- Access to a 1-on-1 financial advisor
- Commuter reimbursement benefit
- Monthly cell phone stipend
Time Off & Flexibility
- Unlimited paid time off, including vacation, sick leave, family leave, personal days, and bereavement
- 18 paid company holidays, plus an end-of-year holiday shut down
- 12 weeks of parental leave
- Federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML), administered by Unum
- Insights Discovery training for every employee to make the most of workplace relationships
- Ongoing professional development, including manager training
- Access to LinkedIn Learning, a self-guided online education platform
Why join Life Edit and the ElevateBio ecosystem?
Life Edit Therapeutics is an integrated subsidiary of ElevateBio, a technology-driven cell and gene therapy company that is accelerating access to the cutting-edge technologies and expertise that can change the future of medicine. Our integrated model combines multiple R&D technology platforms – including Life Edit gene editing – and cGMP manufacturing to power the discovery and development of advanced therapeutics.Our ecosystem is designed to enhance speed, delivery, and probability of success to change patient lives.
Life Edit is an integral part of ElevateBio’s ecosystem of platform technologies and is pioneering focused next-generation gene editing technologies and therapeutics. Located in Durham, NC, members of Life Edit work closely with the ElevateBio Research and Development and BaseCamp manufacturing teams in Waltham, MA. Life Edit is advancing therapeutic programs in collaboration with industry partners while building its own internal pipeline of gene editing therapies. We are looking for a unique individual who can continue to lead the cultural development of Life Edit and build on its momentum as an integral part of the ElevateBio ecosystem.
To power the creation of life-transforming cell and gene therapies, at a speed the world deserves.
We seek to be the world’s most indispensable cell and gene therapy technology company, redefining how companies operate, how products are created and how disease is treated.
ElevateBio is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. ElevateBio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.