The Cost Accounting Manager is responsible for managing all phases of a newly created cost accounting group to provide accurate information for financial reporting. The position acts as a liaison to Manufacturing Operations and will provide key information and insights into manufacturing financial operations and variances that will enable better decisions. This position plays a key role in the month-end close process and is responsible for financial analysis, reporting, review of inventory, cost processes and journal entries for the manufacturing and manufacturing support departments. This position will need to analyze inventory activity as well as recommend and implement process and system improvements in a SOX environment. In addition, the position will also manage the reconciliation of account balances, maintain general ledger accounting including, but not limited to: inventory, cost of goods sold, and accrued expenses. This position will work on various accounting projects and assist with quarterly and annual financial auditor requests and reporting. In addition, this position is an opportunity to build systems, set processes and controls and manage the manufacturing finance function as the company grows.
- Manages all cost accounting functions, analysis and reporting; coordinates month-end inventory costing, valuation, and timely cycle counting
- Develops, reviews, and updates when appropriate, cost standards for direct labor, direct materials, and indirect expenses within the Company’s ERP system (NetSuite)
- Manages and maintains the reconciliations of all accounts for raw materials, work-in-progress, and finished goods to ensure that the Company’s inventory and Cost of Goods sold is accurate and properly stated in the Company’s financial statements
- Ensures inventory and cost accounting and transactional compliance with Company defined SOX internal control standards
- Provides effective analysis and understanding of inventory and actual Cost of Goods Sold results
- Supports the development of the annual budget for the manufacturing and manufacturing support departments, including annual production schedules
- Provides insightful variance reporting to senior management; this includes departmental actual vs. budget analysis, as well as manufacturing variances to standard by product; enables decision support as the Cost Accounting Manager will be a liaison between the finance and manufacturing teams
- Presents and assists management in understanding P/L, product performance, cost drivers and cost forecasts
- Reviews month-end cost accounting journal entries and closing activities for cost and inventory accounts
- Leverages the capacity of the NetSuite ERP to provide the data needed to effectively manage a rapidly growing manufacturing environment; maintains COGS functions including inventory transactions, gross margin analysis, and variances
- Prepares cost and inventory KPIs as well as reviews and monitors SOX inventory internal control standards
- BS in Accounting or equivalent field/degree
- At least 10 years of general ledger experience and 5 years of cost accounting experience required; experience in a public company is preferred
- Proficient using various software, including MS Office with advanced skills in Excel, and ERP accounting software [i.e. NetSuite].
- Highly detail orientated with a solid track record of maintaining accurate records; excellent planning, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills (verbal, written and interpersonal); ability to interact with all levels of employees and external vendors
- Must be able to work independently, work with confidential information and possess strong business judgment
Note: To the extent permissible under applicable law, candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.