Zai Lab Limited (NASDAQ: ZLAB; HKEX: 9688) is an innovative, research-based, commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company based in China and the United States focused on bringing transformative medicines for oncology, autoimmune disorders, infectious diseases, and neurological disorders to patients in China and around the world. Our goal is to leverage our competencies and resources to positively impact human health worldwide.
Founded in 2014, our experienced team has secured partnerships with leading global biopharmaceutical companies, generating a broad and late-stage pipeline of innovative drug candidates. Based on our proven track record of success, Zai Lab has earned the reputation as a trusted partner of choice for global biopharmaceutical companies seeking to not only access the Chinese market but also find a long-term strategic partner for global clinical development. Our unique business model builds on our in-licensed assets and innovative partnerships to expand our internal discovery and development capabilities and has created a portfolio of potential best-in-class and/or first-in-class therapies. Zai currently has four products on the market in China
Zai Lab was successfully listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market in September 2017 and completed secondary listing on Hong Kong Stock Exchange in September 2020. In 2022, Zai Lab became dual-primary listed on both the Nasdaq and the Hong Kong Stock Exchanges. Since its inception, Zai Lab has expanded significantly with several offices across China. In 2021, Zai Lab established its U.S. Headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts. As of January 2022, the Company has a global team of approximately 2000 employees.
Job Summary - Ideally located in the US, but Europe also an option
The Executive Director, Search & Evaluation will be a critical role at Zai Lab, and focused on Neuroscience, Auto-Immune Diseases, and Anti-Infectives. This role will work in partnership with a talented and collaborative team across our Research, Development, Commercial, and BD organizations to identify and secure access to breakthrough innovation emerging from academic and research institutes, early-stage biotech and Pharmaceutical companies. Ideally located in the US, but Europe also an option
- Develop a deep understanding of Zai Lab’s pipeline, portfolio, technology and capabilities
- Proactively search, identify, and evaluate potential partnering opportunities that are aligned with Zai Lab’s R&D and business development objectives
- In collaboration with a cross-functional team of experts, lead scientific and technical diligence of potential partnering opportunities and establish strategic rationale (benefit/risk profile) for potential deals
- Work in partnership with BD and research colleagues to synthesize scientific and business information in preparing and presenting opportunity proposals to Senior Leadership and the Board for feedback and approval
- Identify potential partners, prepare capability/pitch decks, prepare analyses of comparable deals, partner with key stakeholders across all functions, and coordinate due diligence efforts.
- Support negotiation of term sheets and review of contracts.
- Closely monitor the competitive landscape and medical/scientific environment
- Maintain a Tracking Log/Data base with all opportunities reviewed, including company contact information and details on projects declined/monitored/active
- Be an ambassador for Zai Lab at therapeutic and/or Bio partnering conferences
- PhD with 12 years relevant experience of which 5 years are experience in tech transfer, venture capital, life sciences consulting, or biopharmaceutical research or business development; or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
- Familiarity with and experience in Auto-Immune diseases strongly preferred
- A strategic and creative thinker who can translate scientific and technical information into clear, understandable, and compelling summaries for a senior audience
- Deep understanding of the pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process from early discovery to clinical development
- Emerging network and networking skills to reach out to a broad range of industry decision-makers to keep on top of emerging opportunities
- Ability to work, communicate, collaborate, and lead internal cross-functional teams and external stakeholders as a team-player with transparency in a data-driven, fast-paced, and exciting environment
- Capability and comfort with prioritizing multiple projects, deliverables, and timelines to exercise thoughtful judgment, problem-solving and decision-making
- A leader and role model who operates with an entrepreneurial spirit, integrity, independence, transparency, and exemplifies the Zai Lab values with a focus on improving the lives of patients and families.
- Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting
- Ideally located in the US, but Europe also an option
Zai Lab US requires all employees who are working onsite or who are in customer facing positions to be vaccinated against COVID-19 (subject to any legally required exemptions)
At Zai, we are proud of the gender diversity of our company and our promotion of women in biotech. We have achieved gender base pay equity at all levels, 58% of our employees are women and 54% of our management positions are held by women. We are committed to the health of patients and our planet. That’s why our environmental protection, social responsibility, and corporate governance strategy, called “Trust for Life” is integrated within our business.
Disclaimer: This description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirement for the position. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or based on disability.