Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those arent words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. Youll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
This is a high-performance data analytics software development team that will help us bring together the data at BMS in a way that has not been seen before. We will be building systems and platforms that will help us not only answer the hard questions at BMS but also allow us to answer the questions we did not know we had.
We are looking for a Principal Platform Developer to build functional and efficient server-side applications. Principal Platform Developer responsibilities include participating in all phases of the software development lifecycle and coaching junior developers. If youre a seasoned developer with a love for back-end technologies, we would like to meet you.
Your ultimate goal is to create high-quality products that meet customer needs.
Please be advised that this role is also a hands-on development position where the proper candidate will be involved with architecting, implementing, deploying, and supporting custom internally developed software.
- Help design and implement functional requirements
- Build efficient back-end features in Python
- Integrate front-end components into applications
- Manage testing and bug fixes
- Prepare technical documentation
- Collaborate with UX/UI designers to implement design into the code
- Coach junior team members
- Implement software enhancements and suggest improvements
Provide technical domain leadership:
- Develops the Domain Model: Works with business users as well enterprise technology members to architect, implement and own the Domain Driven model capable of modeling all pharmaceutical data sources internal/external to BMS.
- Owns the IT strategy: Drives the development of realistic and actionable multi-year strategic digital capability roadmaps, informed and prioritized by business and IT in an enterprise context. Prioritizes the portfolio appropriately and is accountable for the overall portfolio budget management.
- Develops compelling business cases: Leads the prioritization and development of strong and clear business cases for digital capability investments in support of the roadmap and aligned with the platform strategy. Defines, measures, & achieves business outcomes for highest value (at the lowest cost) digital capabilities.
- Brings an external view: Actively maintains awareness of external drivers in the business domain and relevant technology trends, and brings new ideas.
- Knows what value looks like: Understands where BMS should be competitively differentiated through technology, translates business needs into specific business requirements, sees realistic opportunities for IT to add more value, and balances this with a pragmatic understanding of fitness for purpose.
Provide technical and strategic leadership:
- Builds high performance applications and platforms: Knows how to architect, implement, and deliver high performance applications as well as CI/CD systems to ensure the consistency of changes to the system.
- Builds strong partnerships with senior leaders: Is viewed by senior business leaders as an effective partner who plans and delivers digital capabilities, safeguards their digital assets and supports their strategic goals.
- Recognized as a thought leader and trusted advisor: Influences the strategic thinking of senior business leaders, and helps business leaders to include future digital capabilities into their planning.
- Owns the relationship: Has effective working relationships with all relevant business leaders, is deeply involved with key business activities and forums, is responsible for building and managing effective business partnership at all levels during project execution, and takes full accountability for delivering the value proposition of IT.
- Drives change: Ensures effective planning, execution and communication of business change management to support digital capability investments, including business process changes to achieve maximum value from investments. Accountable for ensuring an effective change management plan is in place for their individual projects.
Leverages the matrix to drive portfolio execution:
- Demonstrates Matrix leadership by ensuring that all IT functions are successful in their delivery of services to the US Immunology business.
- Shows good judgement in communication: Communicates successes and issues accurately, urgently, and to the right audience, and takes accountability for ensuring effective management of expectations with business leaders.
- Boldly acts with urgency: Shows courage, tenacity and respect to provoke uncomfortable conversations in order to remove roadblocks to value delivery.
- 10+ years in Python experience
- Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles and Resilient Distributed Dataset
- Good knowledge of Big Data querying tools, such as Pig, Hive, and Impala
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, HBase, Cassandra
- Experience with Big Data frameworks such as Hadoop, Apache Spark, Apache Beam
- Experience with Python frameworks (e.g. Django, Flask, Bottle)
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and REST API
- Understanding of databases and SQL
- Attention to detail
- Leadership skills
Ideal Candidates Would Also Have:
- 5+ years of experience with Big Data cloud services in AWS, GCP, and/or Azure.
- 5+ years of experience with CI/CD technologies for Python, AngularJS, and/or other programming languages (e.g. Jenkins, Sonar, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience designing, implementing, and deploying Objected Oriented Analysis & Design (OOAD) applications.
- 5+ years in building enterprise applications and Object Oriented Analysis & Design (OOAD)
- 5+ years of experience with Python
- 5+ years of experience with AngularJS (or similar UI languages)
- At least a Bachelor's degree is required in Computer Science/Engineering or related discipline or equivalent experience
The starting compensation for this job is a range from $141,000-$210,000, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility). The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and where the job is performed.Final, individual compensation will be decided based on demonstrated experience. Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our careers site may vary based on the job and location. For more on benefits, please visit our Working With Us (bms.com).
Benefit offerings are subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans then in effect and may include the following: Medical, pharmacy, dental and vision care. Wellbeing support such as the BMS Living Life Better program and employee assistance programs (EAP). Financial well-being resources and a 401(K). Financial protection benefits such as short- and long-term disability, life insurance, supplemental health insurance, business travel protection and survivor support. Work-life programs include paid national holidays and optional holidays, Global Shutdown Days between Christmas and New Years holiday, up to 120 hours of paid vacation, up to two (2) paid days to volunteer, sick time off, and summer hours flexibility. Parental, caregiver, bereavement, and military leave. Family care services such as adoption and surrogacy reimbursement, fertility/infertility benefits, support for traveling mothers, and child, elder and pet care resources. Other perks like tuition reimbursement and a recognition program.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesnt perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as Transforming patients lives through science , every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.