Life Edit Therapeutics R&D focus is on continuing to develop its proprietary gene editing platform and the application of our platform to therapeutic drug development and partnering. The Senior Director, Business Development and Corporate Strategy will report to the Senior Vice President, Corporate Development and Operations, and will be a core part of the Life Edit team responsible for strengthening our research and development pipeline through external partnerships and in-licensing of external innovation.
Life Edit Therapeutics is a dynamic, high-growth, and intellectually challenging workplace with many projects that span Corporate Strategy, R&D strategy, BD deals, and competitive analyses. In scope for the role are all deal structures ranging from R&D collaborations, in-licensing, and acquisitions. The successful candidate will be well versed scientifically and will have an established track record of developing and closing R&D collaborations with large and mid-sized biopharmaceutical companies. In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience managing a team responsible for making business driving decisions.
- Core part of team to establish, evolve and execute the Life Edit BD strategy.
- Identify the most compelling external opportunities.
- Lead prioritized deals at a pace to enable high quality decision making.
- Manage a matrixed team of BD and non-BD professionals when leading deals.
- Structure deals and negotiate with prospective partners.
- Drive forward deals through Life Edit’s governance and decision-making process.
- Establish and strengthen the relationship with the potential external partner throughout the deal process.
- Close deals and contract in partnership with legal, finance and other areas of Life Edit.
- Develop and maintain an expert understanding of the scientific and asset landscape and competitive intelligence to ensure visibility to emerging opportunities and changes in the environment.
- Shared accountability for developing leaders and capabilities across Life Edit’s Corporate Development function.
- Scientific degree relevant to pharmaceutical R&D (Ph.D., PharmD or MD)
- 10 or more years of experience in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Experience with Cell and Gene Therapy R&D stage business development, including opportunity sourcing, deal structuring and negotiations
- Broad and detailed knowledge of the R&D process in addition to an understanding and expertise in business development
- Proficient biopharma commercial/market awareness with good understanding of key drivers that underpin commercial assessments and valuations
- Strong understanding of biopharma deal structures
- Previous leadership experience managing matrixed teams
- Previous experience presenting to Senior level leaders and key stakeholders
- MBA degree or other advanced degree in a related field
- Strong skills in representing business cases and driving timely and smart decisions across complex internal and external organizations
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment with a high level of agility
- Highly effective influencing skills in challenging, ambiguous, or changing environments
We’re committed to finding the best ways to support our teams so they can do their best work. We take care of our employees, right from the start.
Health & Wellness
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance covered at 90%
- Low deductible, no co-insurance and no copays for mental health visits (for in-network care)
- Annual fitness reimbursement
- Employer paid for access to wellness apps and programs like Task Human
- Competitive compensation
- 401(k) retirement plans with a 4% employer match and no vesting period
- Employer-paid life insurance and short- and long-term disability insurance
- Employer-sponsored flexible spending accounts (FSA) and dependent care account (DCA)
- Access to a 1-on-1 financial advisor
- Commuter reimbursement benefit
- Monthly cell phone stipend
Time Off & Flexibility
- Unlimited paid time off, including vacation, sick leave, family leave, personal days, and bereavement
- 18 paid company holidays, plus an end-of-year holiday shut down
- 12 weeks of parental leave
- Federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML), administered by Unum
- Insights Discovery training for every employee to make the most of workplace relationships
- Ongoing professional development, including manager training
- Access to LinkedIn Leaning, a self-guided online education platform
Why join Life Edit and the ElevateBio ecosystem?
Life Edit Therapeutics is an integrated subsidiary of ElevateBio, a technology-driven cell and gene therapy company that is accelerating access to the cutting-edge technologies and expertise that can change the future of medicine. Our integrated model combines multiple R&D technology platforms – including Life Edit gene editing – and cGMP manufacturing to power the discovery and development of advanced therapeutics.Our ecosystem is designed to enhance speed, delivery, and probability of success to change patient lives.
Life Edit is an integral part of ElevateBio’s ecosystem of platform technologies and is pioneering focused next-generation gene editing technologies and therapeutics. Located in Durham, NC, members of Life Edit work closely with the ElevateBio Research and Development and BaseCamp manufacturing teams in Waltham, MA. Life Edit is advancing therapeutic programs in collaboration with industry partners while building its own internal pipeline of gene editing therapies. We are looking for a unique individual who can continue to lead the cultural development of Life Edit and build on its momentum as an integral part of the ElevateBio ecosystem.
To power the creation of life-transforming cell and gene therapies, at a speed the world deserves.
We seek to be the world’s most indispensable cell and gene therapy technology company, redefining how companies operate, how products are created and how disease is treated.
ElevateBio is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. ElevateBio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.