Senior Director, Research (Vivarium)
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
The successful candidate will oversee a team that supports daily pre-clinical center operations, establishes best research practices, and partners with groups across the research organization to develop a world-class in-vivo pharmacology program. The ideal candidate will have a background in pre-clinical research, vivarium operations, and animal models of disease, with a passion for accelerating the drug development process in a fast-paced, science-focused, and resource-rich environment.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Direct oversight of the animal care and use program, including vivarium operations, regulatory compliance, and staff training
- Management of pre-clinical research center space, including participation in the development and design of animal research facilities and/or allocation of space to support different research areas
- Instill and enforce a culture of 3 Rs (Replacement, Refinement, and Reduction) in the daily decision-making of researchers
- Maintain records to align with applicable local, state, federal regulations, animal welfare accreditation standards, and internal compliance regulations
- Lead disease detection and surveillance, prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and resolution program
- Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in animal or laboratory science, business, or related discipline with minimum of 15 years of lab animal program experience required
- Background and experience in developing animal care and use, biosecurity, EHS and occupational health programs supporting in-vivo research
- Experience in obtaining and keeping AAALAC accreditation
- Experience in establishing and administering IACUC programs
- Thorough knowledge of small animal medicine, anesthesia, and animal resource management in a research environment
- People management skills with experience/desire to mentor and manage people of all backgrounds and experiences
- Experience communicating and working with regulators, technical staff, senior leaders, and research scientists
- Ability to identify key issues, bottlenecks, and cause/effects as they impact the business while facilitating the drive towards continuous improvement
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and team mindset
The Research department at Gilead Sciences (Foster City, CA) is seeking a talented and highly motivated Director to establish a new pre-clinical vivarium research center and build/lead the vivarium operations team. Once fully established, the pre-clinical research center at Gilead will be key to our early therapeutic discovery efforts, supporting multiple research groups, including the Virology, Oncology and Inflammation therapeutic areas, Non-Clinical Safety, Pathobiology, and Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.