As a Physician-Scientist in the Regeneron Genetics Center’s (RGC) Founder and Special Populations group, you will work collaboratively to conduct genetic and phenotypic data analyses in diverse and understudied populations from all over the world, providing biological and medical insights into genotype-phenotype associations. Our goal is to apply high-throughput genetics to better understand human biology and aging, identify novel therapeutic targets for diseases of unmet clinical need, and seek indications for ongoing drug programs. We have 24 active collaborations and are exome sequencing >750,000 samples from founder and special populations worldwide. We hope you are excited by this opportunity to positively impact patients –in the short-term through results returned via collaborators and in the longer term by advising research into new medicines.
As a Physician-Scientist, a typical day might include the following:
- Characterizing the allelic architecture of founder populations, identifying genes of potential interest through genotype-phenotype associations & other genetic approaches, and harnessing internal and external data sources and bioinformatics approaches and your medical prowess to better understand the therapeutic implications of novel genetic findings.
- Collaborating with Analytical Genetics and Translational Genetics teams to validate potentially interesting findings in founder and other special populations by extending the analyses to other RGC study populations (ex. Geisinger DiscovEHR, UK Biobank)
- Partner with the Therapeutic Focus Area, and Clinical and Experimental Sciences groups to glean more profound insights into mechanisms & biology, including the design of functional experiments and call-back studies.
- Running multiple projects simultaneously and completing them in a timely & reliable manner
- Summarizing and communicating study findings to the Founder and Special Populations team, RGC and Regeneron leadership, and internal and external collaborators
- Actively identify and engage potential new external collaborators with access to well-phenotyped founder and special populations
This role might be for you if:
- You are enthusiastic about working with Founder & Special Populations and to apply your medical knowledge to human genetics discovery efforts
- Able to work collaboratively as a member of the Founder & Special Populations team, with other Regeneron teams, and with external collaborators
- You are driven by surveying the literature and attending conferences to incorporate discoveries and findings from the broader genetics community into study opportunities and considerations internally
To be considered for this opportunity, you must have a Ph.D. or MD with 6+ years of proven ability and a background in human disease and/or applied population genetics. MD is preferred. Some experience analyzing and interpreting whole exome sequencing and genome-wide genotyping studies (ex., statistical association analysis, interpretation of association signals in complex disease) is necessary. Must have experience applying and/or interpreting standard statistical approaches and tools (ex. regression, linear mixed models, PLINK, R), and ability to summarize complex data and results to identify patterns, signals, and issues related to genes and genotype-phenotype associations. Should have knowledge of biology and clinical medicine to identify and prioritize genetic hits with therapeutic potential for disease. Experience with molecular characterization and functional studies geared towards elucidating gene functions and the mechanistic basis for genetic associations is a plus.
#MDJOBS, #MDJOBSGG, #RGCTAG
Does this sound like you? Apply now to take your first steps toward living the Regeneron Way! We have an inclusive and diverse culture that provides comprehensive benefits including health and wellness programs, fitness centers and equity awards, annual bonuses, and paid time off for eligible employees at all levels!
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or belief (or lack thereof), sex, nationality, national or ethnic origin, civil status, age, citizenship status, membership of the Traveler community, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, familial status, marital or registered civil partnership status, pregnancy or parental status, gender identity, gender reassignment, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process. Please contact us to discuss any accommodations you think you may need.
The salary ranges provided are shown in accordance with U.S. law and apply to U.S. based positions, where the hired candidate will be located in the U.S. If you are outside the U.S, please speak with your recruiter about salaries and benefits in your location.
Salary Range (annually)
$162,600.00 - $265,400.00