Fate Therapeutics is looking for a Senior Scientist or Scientist with expertise in bioinformatics to join the Molecular Engineering team. The primary focus for this position will be to independently develop, optimize, and implement NGS pipelines to support advancement of Fate’s gene editing platform. The position will also establish, modify, validate, and execute sequencing based genomic analysis pipelines that meet the quality and regulatory requirements for the release and characterization of genetically engineered induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) derived cell therapies. This is a full-time exempt position reporting to a Principal Scientist and is located at our corporate headquarters in San Diego, California.Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain genomic characterization pipelines to analyze CRISPR-mediated genome editing activities (on- and off-target editing) including Illumina WGS analysis, long read sequencing analysis, and genome structure analysis.
- Establish and maintain modular software pipelines for genome sequencing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using high-throughput sequencing platforms such as Illumina, Thermo-Fisher, Oxford Nanopore, and Pacific Biosciences.
- Provide general bioinformatics analysis support for NGS projects and mainly responsible for data analysis and pipeline development focused on next generation sequence alignment, structural variant identification, and visualization tools and browsers.
- Summarize data analysis results and perform data interpretation suitable for the drafting of research reports.
- Manage data including loading, querying, and format conversion, provide software training to the scientists and technicians, and maintain in-house tools.
- Ensure project timeline and adherence to rules and regulations by regulatory and/or accreditation agencies.
- Identify creative solutions to problems and invent new methodologies and workflows to improve sequencing technologies.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- PhD or equivalent experience in bioinformatics, computer science, computational biology, or similar field
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience in drug discovery and development; Title will depend on experience.
- Programming experience using Python and Linux environment is required
- Experience with cloud computing is preferred
- Demonstrated success in the field of genome structure analysis is required
- Experience with data curation, aggregation, integration, mining, and analysis
- Proficiencies in scientific Python software such as bioinformatics toolkits (Biopython), data analysis tools (numpy/scipy/sklearn/Pandas), visualization tools/libraries, and dimensionality reduction and clustering algorithms
- Proven record in successfully developing and deploying robust, validated, reusable bioinformatic software pipelines.
- Ability to dig deeply through various data types; demonstrated experience in pinpointing and resolving incongruities between tools/framework.
- A passion for creating great quality, re-usable, documented, and tested code.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to explain complex ideas to computational and non-computational scientists.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to work with a multi-functional team.
- Desire to understand the fundamental aspect of technologies, and the ability to identify creative solutions to overcome current limitations.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities.
- Subject to extended periods of sitting and standing, vision to monitor, and moderate noise levels
- The salary offer will be based on a variety of factors, including level, experience, qualifications, internal equity, and location
- Fate offers a competitive employment package that includes an annual bonus, equity, and a generous benefits package
- The anticipated salary range for this role is $115,000 - $150,000
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. Additional and incidental duties related to the primary duties may be required from time to time.Equal Employment Opportunity
Fate Therapeutics, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.Privacy Notice
You can view our online Privacy Notice here
.About Fate Therapeutics, Inc.
Fate Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to bringing a first-in-class pipeline of induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC)-derived cellular immunotherapies to patients with cancer and autoimmune disorders. Using its proprietary iPSC product platform, the Company has established a leadership position in creating multiplexed-engineered iPSC lines and in the manufacture and clinical development of off-the-shelf, iPSC-derived cell products. The Company’s effector cell pipeline includes multiplexed-engineered, iPSC-derived natural killer (NK) cell and T-cell product candidates, which incorporate novel synthetic controls of cell function, such as chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) to target tumor-associated antigens and are intended to deliver multiple mechanisms of therapeutic importance to patients including in combination with well-established cancer therapies. Fate Therapeutics is headquartered in San Diego, CA. For more information, please visit www.fatetherapeutics.com